Oil & Fuel Gear oil levels and where to check

/ Gear oil levels and where to check #1  

dieselfuelonly

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1401D
Hey guys, couple questions for you all here:

I was wondering what kind of oil (or hydraulic fluid, I'm not sure on which!) I need to put in my tractor. I checked the dipstick on top of the transmission today, the fluid was clean and there was plenty in it.

Is this the only place I need to check periodically for transmission fluid/hydraulic fluid or do the hydraulics for the 3pt. hitch run off of a different resivoir?

I also opened up the cap on my front axle today. How much fluid should be in there?

I put my finger down the hole and I think I felt the axel shaft, and when I felt my finger afterward it was oily, but my finger was not submerged in oil. Should I fill it all the way up, and if so, what do I fill it with.

Sorry for the newbie post!

Thanks,

Dennis

/ Gear oil levels and where to check #2  
JD 303 HYD fluid same transmission & 3 pt. Not sure on your front axle . Mine has a small dip stick on the front axle. It may help you if you get an owners manual

/ Gear oil levels and where to check #3  
The front differential should use regular 85w-90 weight gear oil. :)

/ Gear oil levels and where to check
How high should the oil be in the front axel? I couldn't find a dipstick anywhere.

/ Gear oil levels and where to check #5  
Dennis,

If you look at the fill cap you may find that it had a "level Rod" welded on the under side. It may be broken off. If a group member has a rod on their cap nut they might be able to measure from the axle fill nut seat to the top of the oil and tell you the distance. Just a thought. Good luck.

Dick

/ Gear oil levels and where to check #7  
I have the dip stick on my cap. I'll measure when I get home if noone else has by then.

/ Gear oil levels and where to check #9  
Dennis,

Okay, from the lowest point of plastic on the cap, the high mark is 1 and 11/16ths down, and the low point is 1 and 7/8ths down.

Mind you, I'm on a YMG2000D. May be different for yours. A few dollars spent on a new cap with measuring stick might be worth it.

Good luck.

/ Gear oil levels and where to check
I have a feeling that since you have a model that is quite a bit bigger than mine, the differences will be quite a bit different :(.

Here are some pictures:

I don't see any evidence that the cap ever had any dipstick on it.

It doesn't seem that there is much fluid in there.

If I stick my finger down the hole I can feel the axel shaft, it is directly under the cap.

Should it be submerged in fluid?

It was dry in some spots and a little oily in others, the tractor has not been driven since yesterday either.

Can someone give me some advice if this is normal/what I should check/do?

Thanks very much!

Dennis

P1010112-2.jpg

P1010113-2.jpg

P1010114-2.jpg

Just a picture I took on the way back to post this :)

P1010115-1.jpg