GC2410 Tie Rod Boot Torn

/ GC2410 Tie Rod Boot Torn #1  

cdaigle430

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF GC2410
Have a torn boot on the tie rod end of the steering cylinder(loader joystick side of tractor). Was hoping someone would have instructions on how to replace the rubber boot?

/ GC2410 Tie Rod Boot Torn #2  
Daigle, please post some pics when you do the repair. I just went out & looked at mine: Appears to be a spring-steel ring on the large diameter end and little circular spring on the small end, so removal ought to be simple (yeah, right...).

Just saw where it looks like the large end of one of mine (right side) has shifted/slid to the outside quite a bit! Not sure how that happens, will have to investigate. I can see what looks like its old position further inboard on the smooth steering cylinder, so it seems that tension from that spring-steel ring is the only thing holding it in place.

I'll take a look in my repair manual & post results later.

DSC07728.jpgDSC07727.jpg

/ GC2410 Tie Rod Boot Torn #3  
According to the repair manual, it should be straightforward, much as I had imagined.

Unbolt & remove tie rod end, counting how many threads are exposed, roll circular spring (#2) off the small end of the boot, then use pliers to open the spring-clamp (#5) on the big end. Boot (#3) should then pull off/over the knuckle (#4).

Also figured out that my issue is that the small end has been pushed inward. Must have hit a stick or rock or something. Hoping it'll just pull outward to safely lock into the groove in the tie rod end outside of the threaded part.

Here's what the manual's picture shows:DSC07729.jpg

/ GC2410 Tie Rod Boot Torn #4  
Yup! That's how its changed. Remember to count those turns and return to same count when re-installing tie rod end. Loosen the tie rod end nut, but6 keep installed to the bottom threads. You will have tap here to remove tie rod end. Tap on the loosened nut, it comes out fairly easily.

BTW, consider replacing the tie rod, since you have done most of the work already. I found the whole assembly was not too much more than the parts.

/ GC2410 Tie Rod Boot Torn #5  
For my 2 cents it is not worth doing. So some grit and grime get into that joint. You are not going to wear it out in this lifetime. Why bother ?

/ GC2410 Tie Rod Boot Torn
Thanks Irvingj and Blackd this looks pretty easy and considering the full part. I still don't understand how I tore it....the rubber is like new.

/ GC2410 Tie Rod Boot Torn
For my 2 cents it is not worth doing. So some grit and grime get into that joint. You are not going to wear it out in this lifetime. Why bother ?

I thought about that too JWR, I still may try to patch it somehow but I like to keep on top of things because they all add up quickly. SO far other than spot painting this tractor has no issues other than the tore boot. Not bad for a 9 year old tractor that's been used hard.

/ GC2410 Tie Rod Boot Torn #8  
Well, mine turned out OK. Smeared some grease on the barb-shaped end of the tie rod and used two pairs (one on each side) to pull the small end of the rubber back into position in that grooved area. Fortunately the rubber's still intact, but it had obviously hit something....