GC2300 lift arms moving - leaver is middle position.

/ GC2300 lift arms moving - leaver is middle position. #1  

eCRX

Bronze Member
Tractor
2004 Massey Ferguson GC2300, 2015 Cub Cadet XT2
I have a 5ft box blade on my 3PH. It's leaning forward. (Cut going forward, bulldoze/backsdrag driving in reverse.)

When I'm in reverse I noticed that the lift arms aren't completely locked. If, for example, I hit a hard patch the lift arms will follow the contour of the ground. The leaver is in the middle position when this is happening. Almost as if it's in a float but with resistance.

Is it normal to overcome the lift arm position under heavy loads? Is this adjustable?

/ GC2300 lift arms moving - leaver is middle position. #2  
there is no hydraulic down force or locks. can adjust the tilt a bit to lessen the impact in reverse but....it won't stop fully.

/ GC2300 lift arms moving - leaver is middle position. #3  
Agree, no power down. Gravity only.

/ GC2300 lift arms moving - leaver is middle position. #4  
Demacleo is right of course. Just to amplify what he said a bit, the 3pt hitch (on all tractors I know about) have single-acting lift-only operation. Down happens only by gravity. You can lift the 3 pt with great load capacity but you have NO DOWNFORCE capability. There were some old systems that were double acting and would force downward (as does my old MH Pacer in the picture of me, to your left) but generally those tractors did not even have a 3 point hitch.

/ GC2300 lift arms moving - leaver is middle position.
Understood! Thanks guys.

I can visualize what's going on now. I was thinking in terms of a double acting cylinder on the FEL.

It would be comparable to a chain lifting the 3PH arms.

/ GC2300 lift arms moving - leaver is middle position. #6  
Understood! Thanks guys.

I can visualize what's going on now. I was thinking in terms of a double acting cylinder on the FEL.

Yep, very good analogy.

/ GC2300 lift arms moving - leaver is middle position. #7  
Case tractors in the mid-50s had down pressure on their proprietary "Eagle Hitch" system. I had a 1955 model 400 Case that I could place a block of firewood on end under the 3-point arm and lift one wheel or the other (or both) off the ground to install the tire chains.
However, in the example here, I think it would be better to weight the box blade with scrap iron or cement to achieve down pressure. Unless I was really careful as I applied down pressure with the old Case, I would spin out.

/ GC2300 lift arms moving - leaver is middle position. #8  
Case tractors in the mid-50s had down pressure on their proprietary "Eagle Hitch" system. I had a 1955 model 400 Case that I could place a block of firewood on end under the 3-point arm and lift one wheel or the other (or both) off the ground to install the tire chains.
However, in the example here, I think it would be better to weight the box blade with scrap iron or cement to achieve down pressure. Unless I was really careful as I applied down pressure with the old Case, I would spin out.
The Belarus 250AS had a double acting cylinder on the 3 point as well. Weirdest tractor I've ever run but that was handy on the 3 point for sure!

/ GC2300 lift arms moving - leaver is middle position. #9  
Understood! Thanks guys.

Yep, very good analogy.
bingo, excellent analogy.