/ GC1715 Overheating #1  

FolkBear

Tractor
LS MT240h
Been brush hogging for the past several days and today, I noticed that the engine was overheating. I immediately dropped the throttle and opened the hood to find coolant spuing out of the reservoir. I shut the engine down so that it hopefully wouldn’t run out of coolant. The reservoir boiled for a while and is now low on coolant. I’m not an engine guy, but is there supposed to be another hose attached to this cap? Or is this open side on the cap just for steam release? Been trying to find a parts diagram with no luck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 85
   / GC1715 Overheating #2  
no other hose attached. cap itself should have hose that drops into tank.
pull the screen in front of radiator (metal screen may need to move air filter intake tube) and clean it.

edit: missed the fact that the overflow tube that exits near frame of tractor was missing, sorry about that.

Last edited:
   / GC1715 Overheating #3  
The overflow looks fine.

You probably have a radiator that is full of grass chafe.

Blow it out really well and make sure you have airflow through it.

It's good you shut it down quick.

/ GC1715 Overheating #4  
no other hose attached. cap itself should have hose that drops into tank.
pull the screen in front of radiator (metal screen may need to move air filter intake tube) and clean it.
Dave is right. Some of these have the overflow hose from the base just beneath the radiator cap going into the overflow jug bottom and then the hose leaving the jug at/near the top goes down and out to the atmosphere under the tractor as waste. Of course you need to refill your coolant with the 50/50 antifreeze/water mix. Most importantly find out why it boiled over. VERY likely as Dave said you have the screen in front of the radiator or the radiator itself plugged up with chaff, grass, dust and crud. I find compressed air and a spray nozzle handy for cleanout. Unlikely it is anything else but if the problem persists after cleaning it is a real necessity to get to the bottom of the issue.

/ GC1715 Overheating #5  
My GC 1715 has a over flow tube going from cap of catch reservoir down to below tractor chassis....

MF overflow.jpg

Also I would check the screen in front of radiator to see if plugged with grass and debris....

MF Screen.jpg

/ GC1715 Overheating #6  
crap I missed the overflow hose missing, sorry

/ GC1715 Overheating #7  
By the way, there are many automotive "overflow tanks" that are pressurized and some even have the radiator cap screwed onto the plastic tank. Some of my older VWs were that way. I know of no tractors made that way but there might be some.

/ GC1715 Overheating #8  
The engine will overheat before it can take water from the overflow back into the system, so -- of course, after it's totally cooled down-- remove the radiator cap and fill the radiator to the top first. Then adjust coolant level in the overflow tank.

/ GC1715 Overheating #9  
The engine will overheat before it can take water from the overflow back into the system, so -- of course, after it's totally cooled down-- remove the radiator cap and fill the radiator to the top first. Then adjust coolant level in the overflow tank.
Aaaah.. It's a expansion tank.... As water heats up it expands and flows into expansion tank, after engine cools a vacuum in radiator/engine block should draw water from expansion tank back into block/radiator.... If system is functioning properly you should never have to remove radiator cap....

The real issue here is why did engine over heat....Maybe loose (or non existent-broken) fan belt not turning water pump or blocked airflow in radiator or thermostat gone defective?

/ GC1715 Overheating #10  
Aaaah.. It's a expansion tank.... As water heats up it expands and flows into expansion tank, after engine cools a vacuum in radiator/engine block should draw water from expansion tank back into block/radiator.... If system is functioning properly you should never have to remove radiator cap....

The real issue here is why did engine over heat....Maybe loose (or non existent-broken) fan belt not turning water pump or blocked airflow in radiator or thermostat gone defective?
Agree (except that water does NOT expand or contract.) Water is not a compressible substance. When the engine gets hot in normal operation other things containing and moving the water expand and some steam bubbles form in the water when it reaches the boiling point. That boiling point is higher temp than 212 because of the pressure set by the radiator cap. The combo of water and steam bubbles requires more space. So the water is forced past the radiator cap (when it exceeds the pressure rating of the cap) and moves into the expansion tank. When the water in the radiator cools, after the engine is shut off, the steam bubbles contract and the combo returns to near original volume which creates a partial vacuum and "sucks" the water from the expansion tank back into the radiator. Geeze what a mouthful... anyway that is the way it works.

As Wrangler said -- the REAL ISSUE is why did the engine overheat.