GC1710 Hydraulic 3 point lift Failure Question

/ GC1710 Hydraulic 3 point lift Failure Question #1  

R Meyer

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1710
While running the box blade I had a failure that caused my 3 point to not lift. I stopped and went to lift 3 point and nothing happened. I brought tractor to idle and got off to inspect. While looking things over I heard a pitch/noise change and got back on the tractor and the 3 point would now lift the box blade. I moved the tractor to a different area and brought throttle back up and began to hear a "hissing" noise coming from the rear hydraulics which was amplified the higher the throttle. I then shut down tractor and decided to investigate rear hydraulics. My GC1710 has the backhoe so I have 2 hoses looped together at rear of tractor that I decided to disconnect thinking maybe the connection had become loose. The male hydraulic fitting closure wasn't seated all the way and had something small and black sticking out preventing it from sealing/closing. I removed this male hydraulic quick connect and removed one from backhoe to replace on tractor and no more noises and tractor seemed to work fine.

I found that the rubber o-ring had failed inside this coupler and I believe it may have blocked the flow of fluid completely or mostly blocked fluid then moved enough to allow some hydraulic flow. With this momentary loss of fluid flowing in this rear hydraulic circuit should I be concerned of any further damage to tractor even though things seem to be working?

Will these hydraulic couplers work with other brands if I purchase new male fitting or are they specific to agco?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards,
Robert Meyer

/ GC1710 Hydraulic 3 point lift Failure Question #2  
I have used Summit Hydraulic couplers mixed with the factory couplers with no issue.

/ GC1710 Hydraulic 3 point lift Failure Question #3  
While running the box blade I had a failure that caused my 3 point to not lift. I stopped and went to lift 3 point and nothing happened. I brought tractor to idle and got off to inspect. While looking things over I heard a pitch/noise change and got back on the tractor and the 3 point would now lift the box blade. I moved the tractor to a different area and brought throttle back up and began to hear a "hissing" noise coming from the rear hydraulics which was amplified the higher the throttle. I then shut down tractor and decided to investigate rear hydraulics. My GC1710 has the backhoe so I have 2 hoses looped together at rear of tractor that I decided to disconnect thinking maybe the connection had become loose. The male hydraulic fitting closure wasn't seated all the way and had something small and black sticking out preventing it from sealing/closing. I removed this male hydraulic quick connect and removed one from backhoe to replace on tractor and no more noises and tractor seemed to work fine.

I found that the rubber o-ring had failed inside this coupler and I believe it may have blocked the flow of fluid completely or mostly blocked fluid then moved enough to allow some hydraulic flow. With this momentary loss of fluid flowing in this rear hydraulic circuit should I be concerned of any further damage to tractor even though things seem to be working?

Will these hydraulic couplers work with other brands if I purchase new male fitting or are they specific to agco?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards,
Robert Meyer
You can pick one up at your local farm store and ben fine.

/ GC1710 Hydraulic 3 point lift Failure Question #4  
No, it shouldn't hurt anything-just make sure the couplers are clean and free of any debris. Its the nature of hydraulics in a dirty environment.

/ GC1710 Hydraulic 3 point lift Failure Question #5  
Check the nomenclature stamped into base of female fittings.... I should have a code like S-40 or something similar.... Any brand fitting made to the specification should interchange...

MY GC 1715 has these on FEL, your rear fitting for back hoe should probably be same....

NOTE some where about 2016 there was a change in size of fittings so you numbers may be different.... But concept stays same....

Last edited:
   / GC1710 Hydraulic 3 point lift Failure Question
Thanks for the information everybody! I'll be getting a new fitting and spares I think.