GC1705 - 50 hour service and switching hydraulic fluid. FEL?

/ GC1705 - 50 hour service and switching hydraulic fluid. FEL? #1  

rossn

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1705
Have a GC1705 and am performing the 50 hour service... I'm switching over to the AMSOIL ATH from the factory fluid. When changing the hydraulic fluid, or when switching from the Permatran to ATH or another synthetic, does anyone attempt to drain the hydraulic fluid from the FEL hydraulics, or just let the two fluids mix? I know with Engine Oil, they recommend not mixing conventional and synthetic.

Thanks!

/ GC1705 - 50 hour service and switching hydraulic fluid. FEL? #2  
You can mix the mineral oil, and synthetic oil, in both the hydraulic system, and the engine.

They are 100% compatible. They have to be. You can't get it all out, no matter what you do.

There is no good reason to even try if you have Permatran in there that is only 50 hours old.

I changed out the oil in the sump, replaced the filter, and refilled it with ATH.

Did the same for the engine. I used ACD.

/ GC1705 - 50 hour service and switching hydraulic fluid. FEL?
Fair enough.

/ GC1705 - 50 hour service and switching hydraulic fluid. FEL? #4  
If you want extra protection, I suggest synthetic EP80-90W in the front axle.

However, the hydraulic oil is fine.

/ GC1705 - 50 hour service and switching hydraulic fluid. FEL?
Thanks. I've seen your posts on this previously and was considering it; however, being under the warranty period and that the dealer they exclusively use and recommend hydraulic fluid, I'll wait until I'm out of warranty. Makes sense to use the gear lube, but also think Massey engineers probably spec'd sufficiently.

/ GC1705 - 50 hour service and switching hydraulic fluid. FEL? #6  
Thanks. I've seen your posts on this previously and was considering it; however, being under the warranty period and that the dealer they exclusively use and recommend hydraulic fluid, I'll wait until I'm out of warranty. Makes sense to use the gear lube, but also think Massey engineers probably spec'd sufficiently.

That's fine. The hydraulic oil is sufficient.

Keep in mind, if your front diff, or any other major component, fails under warranty, it's going to be a major breakdown. There will not be any question if it's a manufacturing defect.

They will probably know about it, before you do. Because, it's probably not going to be just one unit with defective parts.

There has only been one differential failure on here, in the 10 years I been here.

MF repaired it under warranty, without any questions. Even though the owner was operating it improperly.