Gauge to inches; Which is right??

/ Gauge to inches; Which is right?? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
I have a book called "Welding Basics" that has a chart showing the thickness in inches of metal from 10 gauge to 24 gauge.

It says 14 gauge is 0.069 inches.

However, a website I just ordered steel ("Carbon Steel Square Tube") from metalsdepot.com states that 14 gauge is 0.083" thick. .... However (again), when it arrived & I measure it, the metal's thickness appeared to be closer to 0.069" than 0.083".

I ordered stock # T111214 "1-1/2 X 1-1/2 X 14 GA (.083 wall)" from this page of theirs

Which is correct?? :confused2:

/ Gauge to inches; Which is right?? #2  
I have a book called "Welding Basics" that has a chart showing the thickness in inches of metal from 10 gauge to 24 gauge.

It says 14 gauge is 0.069 inches.

However, a website I just ordered steel ("Carbon Steel Square Tube") from metalsdepot.com states that 14 gauge is 0.083" thick. .... However (again), when it arrived & I measure it, the metal's thickness appeared to be closer to 0.069" than 0.083".

I ordered stock # T111214 "1-1/2 X 1-1/2 X 14 GA (.083 wall)" from this page of theirs

Which is correct?? :confused2:
Both or neither depending on viewpoint. Theres all types of gauge made up by special interests back when. Sheet gauge, wire gauge, shot gauge, US Std, Brown &Sharp, Birmingham, Washburn, Imperial, Mfg Std. ... Who knows how many more. You only defense is knowing which and having the table. Looks like youre bouncing between B&S and Birmingham wire gauges. The Sheet gauge is #16 [0.062], #15 [0.070], #14 [0.078]. Crazy.
larry

/ Gauge to inches; Which is right?? #3  
Gauge is based on weight. Using a "standard" of 41.82 pounds per square foot per inch of thickness for steel, and a 14 gauge of 3.047 pounds per square foot, that puts your thickness at
0.072859875657580105212816834050693 inches

So the thickness depends on what steel you're getting.
Mild steel might be more like 40.83 lb.
That puts your thickness at
0.074506064162754303599374021909233 inches

Of course, you can find a reference that says 14ga is 3.125 lb, too.

How's that for not answering the question?

-rus-

/ Gauge to inches; Which is right??
Neither source (the book or metalsdepot.com) seemed to be implying wire gauge.

My book's chart is titled "Inch Equivalent for Gauge Thickness" & "Metal less than 1/8" thick is often referred to by gauge."

And, it wouldn't make sense that metalsdepot.com would state wire gauge figures on a piece a steel square tube. :confused2: Unless they just don't know what they're talkin' 'bout. :(

/ Gauge to inches; Which is right?? #5  
hss (hollow square stock) is usually sold by dimension (wall) length x length x thickness .xxx eg; 2"x2"x.125 hss

even if it's less than .125 wall, it should be listed in decimal thickness.

/ Gauge to inches; Which is right?? #6  
Flat steel is measured by Sheet Gauge. US Standard Gauge was originally created by Congress to standardize measurements for purposes of commerce. The gauge designations were based on the weight of wrought iron. It's weight calculations are slightly wrong for steel as it is slightly heavier than wrought iron. That led to Manufacturer's Gauge, which is usually used for steel.

Tubing wall thickness, including square tubing is usually measured in Birmingham Wire Gauge (BWG). Above 11 gauge (.120), it is usually specified in decimals or fractions of an inch ( ie: 1/4 or .250)

11 gauge steel sheet is .1196 thick. 11 gauge square tubing is .120 thick.
16 gauge steel sheet is .0598. 16 gauge tubing is .065
Slight differences, but different none the less.

BTW, Different gauge measurements yet are used for stainless, brass, aluminum and galvanized...

Last edited:
   / Gauge to inches; Which is right?? #7  
All in all, as far as pricing goes, it matters not as you really pay for steel by the pound.

However for structural purposes, for sure the thickness is important.
However again the quality of the steel, or PSI rating now comes in to further complicate things.

Confused?

/ Gauge to inches; Which is right?? #9  
How I wish America would have went metric when the rest of the industrialized world did.

I hate our system of measurement.

/ Gauge to inches; Which is right?? #10  
I think one of the reasons we didnt go metric (other than the general public not ready to accept it) is because of the retooling of many industries that would have been required. You cant simple say that we are going to switch to metric and just start marking in metric especially in the pipe and sheet metal business as the dimensions dont all convert to same equivalency. Metric makes plates in even millimeters with no half millemeter (at least as far as I can tell). Some sizes can switch with no trouble like 3/4"=19mm where as 3/8"= 9.525mm which the metric equivalent would be 10mm. Little things make big differences in milling especially if you are considering seamless pipe which would be a major upset to the piping industry as metric sized pipe is not interchangeable with the Imperial system. Most if not all of the pipe products regardless of manufacturer location still use the Imperial system of size and pipe schedule due to this inability to mix and match.