Gator diesel won't turn over

/ Gator diesel won't turn over #1  

dnw64

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 Cab
Put a new battery in this spring. It was cranking slower and slower until it would only click. Assuming it was probably the charging system, tried charging and jumping, still just a click.

Removed starter and powered on the bench - the solenoid engaged but the motor wouldn't turn.

Got a new starter, installed, same thing - only a click, even with battery charger/booster* on it.

The one thing that seems strange to me is this:
  • Turn key to Run position
  • Glow plug light comes on for the 5 seconds or so like normal
  • Turn key to Start position - hear a click (holding my hand on the starter, doesn't feel like it's coming from there)
  • Release key, returns to Run position, no further noise, i.e. not like the solenoid had engaged, and then retracted.
  • Turn key to Off position
    [*]A click/crackle - like an electrical contact break, not purely mechanical

Oh, and yes, the engine is free - I can turn it by hand using the clutch.

FWIW, this is one of the Gen 1 ones as far as I can tell, made in 2000.

* a "real" one, not a trickle charger - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RFIM8U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

/ Gator diesel won't turn over #2  
Have your "new" battery load tested.. just to be sure it is ok.

/ Gator diesel won't turn over #3  
After you charge your new battery and have it load tested as suggested clean the battery terminals and the ends of your cables. Be sure your ground connection is clean and tight at the frame. Ensure your starter bolts are tightened adequately - that's where it gets its ground.

/ Gator diesel won't turn over #4  
Looks like you have the answers to the problem.
I will be watching to see your response.

/ Gator diesel won't turn over #5  
Maybe, the contacts in the starter. Sometimes an easy fix. Remove them and poish them up with sandpaper. they look just like a large washer. They get pitted and oxidized.

/ Gator diesel won't turn over
Well, had the battery tested at my local auto shop - shows 100%.

This is a brand new starter.

Polished up all leads and the battery terminals.

No change.

Wondering if there's some secondary circuit that has to be closed to enable the starter.

Now have the manual, guess I'll have to slog through it.

/ Gator diesel won't turn over #7  
Look for the starter solenoid. If the contacts are worn out, it will not pass the voltage required, to the starter.
If you want to do a small test on it while it is in the machine, set parking brake, make sure machine is in the park position, and put the key in the run position. Then, short out the two large terminals on the starter solenoid. That, if effect, puts direct 12 volts to the starter, so it should turn engine over. If it doesn,t crank, you have other issues, possibly bad cables or connections. Does your machine have safety switches that require you to be in the seat, or having to press the brake, etc, while trying to start it ?

/ Gator diesel won't turn over