Gateway tech support; real or scam?

/ Gateway tech support; real or scam? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I bought a Gateway netbook last weekend at Walmart. The price seemed right but I should have known better. I brought it home and set it up; a bit of a pain as it wouldn't even allow me to use it until I set up an account; and I couldn't set up an account without being online.
I finally got it set up and used it for a bit, then it dumped my internet connection. My ISP sucks so I assumed that was the problem, but after doing some testing the machine doesn't even have the ability to connect with the internet. WTF?
Then the display crapped out... the bottom 15% of the screen is black, and shaky. Of course that's where the icons are...

I contacted tech support tonight with my problems and they asked a bunch of questions, which I answered. They then said "We will pass this on to a Master Technician. You will need to pay a one dollar refundable fee to sign up"...
At that point I said "I just bought this on Saturday. I will throw it into the trash before I will pay anymore to get it fixed."

I should have known better than to buy at WalMart. I wanted to buy a Dell, but the software deal on this seemed to be better. I used it just enough to get some personal information on it and don't know enough to take that off; so I can't give it away.
It will likely be the most expensive target I've ever used... then I will buy a Dell.

/ Gateway tech support; real or scam? #2  
I am sad. I worked at Gateway in Tech Support from '94 thru 2000. It was a good company.

My daughter got one of those laptops through Wal-Mart last year for college. So far, no problems. The name is about all that is left of Gateway...that and my really bold t-shirts.

Go directly to Wal-Mart are get it replaced.

/ Gateway tech support; real or scam? #3  
Search how to "factory reset" the version of windows that is installed on the computer, then return it. It will only be a couple of steps. This will clear out your personal data.

The bottom 15% of the screen should not be blank, I would suspect the connection to the screen needs to be cleaned and reseated, but if you open it up, you will void the warranty.

I doubt tech support could be any help to you at this point, other than helping you with your credit card!

I wouldn't be too mad at wally mart, these types of issues happen all of the time with most computer manufacturers.

/ Gateway tech support; real or scam?
Search how to "factory reset" the version of windows that is installed on the computer, then return it. It will only be a couple of steps. This will clear out your personal data.

The bottom 15% of the screen should not be blank, I would suspect the connection to the screen needs to be cleaned and reseated, but if you open it up, you will void the warranty.

I doubt tech support could be any help to you at this point, other than helping you with your credit card!

I wouldn't be too mad at wally mart, these types of issues happen all of the time with most computer manufacturers.
Thank you. I will try that.

/ Gateway tech support; real or scam? #6  
You bought an Acer PC with the Gateway name. Acer acquired Gateway in 2007. Return it to the store and go buy a Dell or an ASUS. We have an ASUS ROG that is around 8 yrs old that my son still messes around on. Stick towards the gaming end of laptops, they will have better hardware and better cooling. I have a few year old Dell G7 that still rocks it really well. I stay clear of entry level, try to be in the $800-$1200 low/mid range gaming laptops.

This would be about the level I would suggest, or above. You will not outgrow this quickly, nor will software. I do not have a use for touch screen laptops personally, so that is never a consideration for me. I do own one, just because the Dell I bought had it. I never use it. It adds no value to me.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-g...om-grey-with-speckles/6510327.p?skuId=6510327

/ Gateway tech support; real or scam? #7  
I bought a Gateway netbook last weekend at Walmart. The price seemed right but I should have known better. I brought it home and set it up; a bit of a pain as it wouldn't even allow me to use it until I set up an account; and I couldn't set up an account without being online.
I'm assuming it's running Windows 11? If I'm not mistaken you need a Microsoft account in order to activate Win 11. Not Walmart or Gateway/Acer's fault. I'm sure there's a way around it, but I'm not sure what it is...still running 10 here.

/ Gateway tech support; real or scam? #8  
I am sad. I worked at Gateway in Tech Support from '94 thru 2000. It was a good company.

My daughter got one of those laptops through Wal-Mart last year for college. So far, no problems. The name is about all that is left of Gateway...that and my really bold t-shirts.

Go directly to Wal-Mart are get it replaced.
Gee, when we lived in Sioux Falls, everyone in our building worked for gateway.

/ Gateway tech support; real or scam? #9  
Last Gutway I had, I propped it up on a stump and drilled it with my 45, right in the hard drive.

/ Gateway tech support; real or scam? #10  
I built my desktop, but the wife's laptop is from ASUS and has some limited version of Windows of it; it got her through her schooling, but it's a piece of work. That said, when it was dead on arrival, ASUS replaced it.

The market is a lot different than the last time I paid attention.