Gate Help!

/ Gate Help! #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
I am putting the finishing touches on my shop build. I am trying to secure my shed on the side of it so I can use it to store more valuable things. I have almost completed the 1x4's on the side tp close it in and am adding a regular old cattle gate to the front. By itself I do not hate what it looks like on the side shed. BUT, I would like it to be a bit more secure and make it less easy to see into it. I want to add something to the gate to make that so. I do not want to add tons of weight to the gate.

DISCLAIMER for Negative Nancy and Captain Obvious: Yes, I know that anything I put on the gate is not going to stop someone who wants to steal my stuff. I also know that a determined crook will still get in.

I was thinking about just putting vertical 1x4's in the gate or a cool driftwood type design like this.
driftwood.jpeg

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to make this gate a tiny bit more secure and private, without adding a ton of weight?

Here is a picture of my shop and gate.
KIMG0283.JPG

/ Gate Help! #2  
Driftwood is heavy. If you want to add some privacy maybe a green or black plastic mesh? What are you trying to keep in, or out?

Maybe osmething like this?

/ Gate Help!
My main goal is threefold. Make it so every single person driving by cannot see directly into the shed, make it less easy to hand stuff through the lower rungs of the gate and maybe make it less easy to climb into the shed.

The majority of the stuff living in there is going to be: A) too heavy to lift out and B) of no great value to anyone except me or C) tools that a lazy ass thief wouldn't want to use anyway.

I don't want it to look tacky, I want it to look nice. I appreciate the recommendation but that mesh looks tacky.

It is not like I live in a high crime area, I just like to err on the side of caution.

/ Gate Help! #4  
U could easily weave a vinyl mesh (like a lawn chair) which would be light weight and many colors to choose from.

/ Gate Help! #5  
That gate is approximately the same dimensions of the American Flag. Get a big flag and center it, which should leave about a foot on each side, which would allow you to pass tools through, but blocking most visiblity.

The green mesh was just an idea, they come in a bunch of different colors.

/ Gate Help! #6  
Probably the best way to do it would be with privacy link fabric. I don't think you can get it under 5' tall so you might have to butcher a couple horizontals out of your gate to extend it.
I did all that kind of stuff for years so it's easy for me to visualize. And it wouldn't add very much weight overall.

/ Gate Help!
Probably the best way to do it would be with privacy link fabric. I don't think you can get it under 5' tall so you might have to butcher a couple horizontals out of your gate to extend it.
I did all that kind of stuff for years so it's easy for me to visualize. And it wouldn't add very much weight overall.
Thanks for the link but I think that stuff looks like crap. But maybe the right color.

I have almost given up trying to think of a lightweight solution. Everything I can think of looks crappy.

I have some more ideas: Maybe a sun design made out of wood. Or a wood/corrugated metal combo. Not light but not ridiculously heavy.

/ Gate Help! #8  
You could tack in some fence clips for 2x4s to fasten regular dog eared picket fence boards to and make it look just like a fence. Whatever you do, you'll need to put a truss rod in to take out the sag on the latch side.

/ Gate Help! #9  
The big box stores have sections of picket fence in various sizes and colors. The vinyl stuff would probably be the lightest weight.

/ Gate Help! #10  
You could tack in some fence clips for 2x4s to fasten regular dog eared picket fence boards to and make it look just like a fence. Whatever you do, you'll need to put a truss rod in to take out the sag on the latch side.
That's what I did on an 8' farm tube gate just like pictured. I painted the pickets green. It isn't light weight though which is why I hesitated in posting.