Gas fireplace thermocouple question

/ Gas fireplace thermocouple question #11  
(I do not know what the thermocouple exactly looks like)

It will be a small copper rod that will be mounted near the pilot so that the end is IN the pilot flame.

Most are about the diameter of a 16 penny nail

/ Gas fireplace thermocouple question #12  
I hope I don't hijack this thread but along the same lines, how would one go about attaching a pilot safety/thermocoupler to an existing fireplace that doesn't have one? Is it possible or do I have to buy a new log set? I've done some looking in the past but haven't found anything that will work. Maybe I looked in the wrong place.

/ Gas fireplace thermocouple question #13  
I hope I don't hijack this thread but along the same lines, how would one go about attaching a pilot safety/thermocoupler to an existing fireplace that doesn't have one? Is it possible or do I have to buy a new log set

If it didn't come from the factory with that arrangement, you can't convert it.

You MIGHT be able to get an entire burner/valve assembly that would fit your current logs

/ Gas fireplace thermocouple question #14  
I hope I don't hijack this thread but along the same lines, how would one go about attaching a pilot safety/thermocoupler to an existing fireplace that doesn't have one? Is it possible or do I have to buy a new log set? I've done some looking in the past but haven't found anything that will work. Maybe I looked in the wrong place.

how do you light it now and is there a pilot light?
I assume no safety's presently?
How good are your pipe fitting skills?

pictures pictures pictures pictures

tom

/ Gas fireplace thermocouple question #15  
No safety system what-so-ever. I turn the valve on and light the burner with a match, like an old gas stove. These days I'll only turn it on while I'm around, but it would be nice to leave on occasionally. It seems like it would be so simple to add a safey pilot, but I guess that's not the case.
Pipe fitting skills: I manage, but certainly no professional. I don't have any pics, but I can try to get some tonight if it helps.

/ Gas fireplace thermocouple question
This is one reason why I don't mess with gas

Gas explosion in West Knoxville : Knoxville Photo Galleries : Knoxville News Sentinel: Local Knoxville, Tennessee News Delivered Throughout the Day.

From what I understand, the son was living in the basement and killed. The husband/wife were in bed and the bed helped to protect them from the blast however, they awoke literally, flying through the air.

From what I understand about this event, I'd be hard pressed to believe it had I seen it in a movie.

Amazing that Mom/Dad survived. This happened near my work. I've not read this links story so I'm going on memory. What I think happened is they smelled gas and the gas company came out and didn't find anything. I want to say that they called for help twice.

Sad story. I had this flash through my head as I was trying to heat my thermocouple.... and decided I was not working in my realm of expertise so I stopped.

/ Gas fireplace thermocouple question #18  
Richard
That is exactly why I stopped if you don't know what a TC looks like you shouldn't working with it.

MMagis

I would look for a new log set that has all the features you need want.

tom