Garlic ?

/ Garlic ? #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
I was given some garlic by a friend. I planted it last fall and it's starting to sprout. Now it's snowing again. Will the cold and snow hurt the new plants, or will I be, OK?

Thanks
Dave

/ Garlic ? #2  
I was given some garlic by a friend. I planted it last fall and it's starting to sprout. Now it's snowing again. Will the cold and snow hurt the new plants, or will I be, OK?

Thanks
Dave
It should be OK. I 've had the same thing happen.

I am more concerned about what this early spring like weather is doing to the fruit trees, hopefully they won't start budding out.

/ Garlic ? #3  
I'm no pro, been growing a years worth (70-80 bulbs) every year for about 10 years now. I've had the garlic greens come up through the snow without damage. The plant is tough!
At least the firm neck variety I have is. I can't say for soft neck.

/ Garlic ? #4  
I'm no pro, been growing a years worth (70-80 bulbs) every year for about 10 years now. I've had the garlic greens come up through the snow without damage. The plant is tough!
At least the firm neck variety I have is. I can't say for soft neck.
CalG,
Are you the member that grows all the different varieties of garlic? I remember a number of years ago, someone posted about their garlic harvest and I never knew there were so many types. I just thought all garlic was the same.

Just like olive oil, I never knew there were so many varieties and flavors until another TBN member, Rox, introduced us. Now I'm an olive oil snob.:)

/ Garlic ? #5  
CalG,
Are you the member that grows all the different varieties of garlic? I remember a number of years ago, someone posted about their garlic harvest and I never knew there were so many types. I just thought all garlic was the same.

Just like olive oil, I never knew there were so many varieties and flavors until another TBN member, Rox, introduced us. Now I'm an olive oil snob.:)

Multi varieties? Nope! Not me.
I bought from a grower/ friend 20 bulbs, about 10 years ago.
I've just been replanting these same cloves from the bulbs as they yield each year. I did get some soft neck garlic from my daughter that she had harvested in New Mexico. Some soft neck type that grew bulbs no bigger than a single clove of "my usual". I'm no garlic snob, that's for sure. I just like it.... ;-)

/ Garlic ? #6  
Bit early for our hard neck garlic to break ground up here in the frozen wasteland
Every 3-4 years I let some plants grow bulbils (I.e. I don’t cut the scapes off) & plant them to renew my stock. For ref- garlic, like other bulbs, accumulates viruses which impact the amount harvested. bulbils are virus free but it takes 3 years before they grow to full size

/ Garlic ? #7  
Garlic is a two year crop and yes it will grow sprouts early in the spring through snow. I love garlic, but had to quit eating it because it gives me gas.