Garden tiller suggestions

/ Garden tiller suggestions #21  
I bought a brand new Troy Bilt Horse model in 1990 for my 8000 sq ft vegetable garden. I opted for the 7 hp IC Briggs instead of the Kohler 8 hp. which I think was a couple hundred bucks more at that time. I think I paid $1200 for it delivered to my door.

It's probably the best piece of equipment I've ever owned. Zero dollars in repairs, just a few bucks for maintenance. I used to till everyones garden, but that got old when I saw the weeds they grew all summer. I never loan it out.

I use it for cultivating all the time. Sweet corn planted in 3 foot row spacing allows the tiller to pass without damage, all while walking in the row next to the one you are cultivating. No footprints. Tomatoes get planted in cages 3 foot apart in the row, rows 7 feet apart. Peas and Beans get planted in wide rows 8 feet wide. Vine crops get 8-10 foot row spacing and once they take off, you can't cultivate anyway. Potatoes also get 3 foot row spacing.

That said, I'm looking to buy a CUT this spring and a 3 pt tiller is a must for me. I will keep the Troy Bilt for cultivating and the CUT for whole garden tilling and large areas.
I did every thing with the Troy Bilt for 19 years and it worked great, but age is creeping up on me and I'm looking for a faster, easier way, plus tractors are fun.

Tom

/ Garden tiller suggestions #22  
   / Garden tiller suggestions #23  
My apologies to Mr. Gravely for getting his name wrong and my thanks to bontai-joe for reminding us all what a genius Mr. Gravely was.

/ Garden tiller suggestions #24  
Hi! I just read: Gravely gave much credit for some of first tractor mechanical works to a Gifted engineer and close friend EUSTACHE ROSE who also stockholder in the company. ROSE was a mechanical inventor and engineer whose work with GRAVELY was IMPORTANT in the development of the tractor. It is purported that ROSE INVENTED the first AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION used by Chrysler Corporation.
I believe Than L model Gravely is a lot from EUSTACHE ROSE because the Transmission with two planetary gear sets and bands is very close at an automatic transmission.
I think we must thanks MR. EUSTACHE ROSE and MR.GRAVELY. For their very good works. Good Luck Oldmech

/ Garden tiller suggestions #25  
I've used a CRT tiller, and they work pretty well for breaking up new soil. I've had a Troy Built "Econo Horse" with the 6hp engine for a little over 20 years now. It needs some seals around the gearbox, but it's been a good tiller for sure. I have about 3000 sq ft of vegetable gardens, and various flower gardens here, and there, and have done everything with the rear tine tiller. I may get a tiller for my B2620 this year, or perhaps just a single bottom plow. The picture in my avatar shows some of my compost piles.

/ Garden tiller suggestions #26  
Harold Gravely must have been a mechanical genius. Until someone sees a rotary plow in action, it's hard to imagine that it would work.

YouTube - Other side of the Gravely

Gravely is good stuff. I am on my second Gravely riding tractor/mower. It's a 16-G and it is a tank. Motor under under the seat and will stick like glue on a cliff. Gravely no longer makes riding tractors. A good thing gone with nothing like it to replace it.

/ Garden tiller suggestions #27  
I am looking at purchasing a rear tine tiller sometime in the near future. I want to keep it under $800 and from the looking I have been doing there are a lot of different brands out there. So far I have looked at the following brands which have counter-rotating tines. Cub Cadet, Troy-bilt, Yard Machines, Craftsman, Husqvarna. The Husqvarna says it has a 10 inch depth whereas the others only show to be 6 - 7 inch. Does anyone have any experience with any of the above brands. Prices were all pretty close ranging from around $650 to $799. Part of this garden has been tilled in the past, but I plan on expanding it which of course is covered in grass. Thanks for any responses.

I found a used Yanmar RS-1200 rototiller (48" wide) for $300 and used it with my 2005 Kubota B7510HST

DSCF0212Small.jpg

Last year I found a 1976 Bolens G1453 garden tractor with 32" wide rototiller and 42" wide mower deck on craigslist for $600.

DSCF0242Small.jpg

Got tired of my Yard Machines walk behind rototiller.

Check around and you'll probably find a nice, inexpensive used rototiller for your Mahindra.

/ Garden tiller suggestions #28  
I found a place where I can rent a 6ft 3pt tiller for $50/day, $300/week. For the few times I need to till garden/yard.. I think this is the route I am going to take. I would like to have my own tiller... but I just can't justify the cost vs use. Looking at use vs cost, it would take over 10 yrs for me to break even and I wouldn't need to find a place to store it, or have money tied up in it.

/ Garden tiller suggestions
I have located a couple of rear tine tillers on the local craigslist. One is a Craftsman 7 HP and the other is a Huskee with a Honda engine. Both have crt and reverse. Any opinions on either?

/ Garden tiller suggestions #30  
I have located a couple of rear tine tillers on the local craigslist. One is a Craftsman 7 HP and the other is a Huskee with a Honda engine. Both have crt and reverse. Any opinions on either?
I'd stil go the difference and get a tiller for the tractor.