GARAGE FLOOR PAINT

/ GARAGE FLOOR PAINT #1  

frank_f15

Super Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
kubota b2400- R4 tires
ANYBODY had any experience with paint for garage floors? my son want to paint his new garage floor. was looking at epoxy paint at home depot.

/ GARAGE FLOOR PAINT #2  
I know it smells terrible. I know you have to prep the floor very carefully. I know I would have someone else do it who had the proper breething aparatus, the epoxy for garage floors is really nasty. Do make sure the stuff you use is designed for garage floors (which you probably already know, but it never hurts to say.) because the regular stuff can pull up with hot tires even if it is epoxy.

Cliff

/ GARAGE FLOOR PAINT #4  
They were out of the garage floor paint at Lowes and the counter girl (what was I thinking) told me that it was the same as the porch paint. She mxed it up for me, and we painted the floor (oil based). I have been hauling it out to the highway ever since (on the tread of my Jeep rubicon).

Now I'm wondering if I could even paint over that with the epoxy, or if I need to peel it all off. I may just say the heck with it and live with the uglyness to avoid the pain in the butt and the chemicals... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ GARAGE FLOOR PAINT #5  
Should your son paint his floor. Make sure he adds sand to it. There is nothing worse than walking on a painted floor with wet feet.

/ GARAGE FLOOR PAINT #6  
Paint it once and you will be painting it forever after wards. I would use a concrete sealer and not use any paint of any form. I have never seen a concrete floor paint that would stick to the concrete for any length of time. I believe that it is the chemical composition of the concrete that causes it to lift. My clear concrete sealer hasn't lifted in 20+ years.

/ GARAGE FLOOR PAINT #7  
Personally, I can't see spending the money to paint a concrete floor. Unless it is the finished floor of a house and as appealing as that is to me, my wife would say it is too cold. Regardless, Junkman's post has me wondering if maybe sealing the floor first and then painting might not be a good idea.

Mike

/ GARAGE FLOOR PAINT #8  
A know-it-all who lives in the neighborhood painted his new concrete garage floor using the 2 part epoxy. He was bragging about how it would keep his floor clean and good looking. He's been in the home now about a year and it's already coming up on the high traffic areas. Guess he didn't know as much as he thought he did. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ GARAGE FLOOR PAINT
we seem to think alike /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif i am trying to talk him out of it, a garage is a garage, keep it clean, but paint ? i am not sure of! different generation i guess /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ GARAGE FLOOR PAINT #10  
The reason we did it was that it was already painted and peeled and patched and just looked horrible. Now that I realize that paint doesn't stick, I'll just start saving up to replace the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif