Garage door opener frequencies and technology. Need some help?

/ Garage door opener frequencies and technology. Need some help? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Been googling for awhile now and not coming up with a simple solution to my dilemma.

At my house I have 2 Linear openers. They are 318mhz and came with 3-button remotes.

My goal was to have the middle button do the door at the shop. But a conventional style linear opener for a 12' high door is pretty pricey and not really what I want. I want to install a Liftmaster 3900/8500 series front mount (aka Jackshaft opener). But they run at 315mhz is I am sure my linear remotes wont work right?

I really dont what to have to buy a pair of universal 3-button "multi-frequency" remotes as they arent exactally cheap. And I like the idea of having the third remote that comes with the liftmaster to keep in my truck and only use it to open the garage.

So, If I install the LM3900 opener in the garage, I will have ONE remote for that door. It will go in the truck.

But I need a way to open it from either of the two cars also (which already have 3-button remotes) but wrong freq. Is there a way, or device, or converter, or something that can be mounted at the garage that will pick up the 318mhz signal and convert it to 315mhz to work the liftmaster, and still allow the liftmaster remote to work? Or am I better off just buying a pair of universal remotes?

/ Garage door opener frequencies and technology. Need some help? #2  
If your remotes are restricted to 315mhz then you will need to get universal remotes to operate all three. They are pretty inexpensive. The remotes in your vehicles are already universal and will learn the freq.

My biggest problem with in-vehicle remotes are the work with the key removed. Not good if the vehicle is outside the garage.

/ Garage door opener frequencies and technology. Need some help?
The remotes arent built into the vehicle. They are just linear brand 318mhz visor clip remotes that I have two of to open the two garage doors at the house.

Would be nice to use that middle button to operate the 315mhz liftmaster door at the shop.

A pair of universal 3-button remotes is ~$80

IF there is a simple device that can take the 318mhz signle, make it open the 315mhz door that perhaps cost less than $80 is what I guess I am looking to have answered.

/ Garage door opener frequencies and technology. Need some help? #4  
I doubt you will find a frequency converter or a repeater below $80. Have you check to see if the remotes you have will learn the other code?

I doubt you will find a frequency converter or a repeater below $80. Have you check to see if the remotes you have will learn the other code?

I believe they will learn other codes. I have two remotes, two doors. Each remote can open either door.

But if I understand correctly, there is a difference between "codes" and "frequency". And the remotes have to be capable of other frequencies, not just other codes.

/ Garage door opener frequencies and technology. Need some help? #6  
Yes frequency is frequency and codes are codes. There could be thousands of digital codes on one frequency. Any sort of transponder that could be designed and built would be cost prohibitive. Especially with only 3 mhz of separation. Cavity duplexers are expensive. And the narrower the spacing the more expensive they are.
On the other hand a transmitter made to operate on both frequency's would not be a problem especially as the spacing is so close.

/ Garage door opener frequencies and technology. Need some help? #7  
Check the "homelink" website. Our new Subaru offered a Homelink rear view mirror opener option that to my surprise was able to auto-learn the correct frequency and code for all of our ancient Genie GDOs, our Liftmaster GDOs and our Apollo gate controller (with a 315Mhz Liftmaster "universal" receiver). So maybe they have remotes that will do both 315 and 318.

Or, can you just buy a second 318Mhz receiver for the shop door at a reasonable cost? The receivers just provide a momentary contact close to operate the door, same as just a pushbutton. So you should be able to use one or many on a single door. I think our Liftmaster 315Mhz universal receiver was only about $50.

- Jay

/ Garage door opener frequencies and technology. Need some help? #8  
I think what you want is a 318mHz garage door opener reciever. I had a similar need to use one 3-button remote to control a gate opener and two garage doors on different frequencies. I used a couple of 315 mHz recievers. Searching amazon for 318 mHz garage door opener receiver listed quite a few.

/ Garage door opener frequencies and technology. Need some help? #9  
Yep...as Bengineer said, you need a 318mhz receiver. Simply use it instead of the 315 that comes on the opener you want to use.

$25 at Amazon.

ALLSTAR 110548 Garage Door Openers MVP 1 Channel Receiver 318MHz - - Amazon.com

41GmgWtoSNL.jpg

I did the same thing (different frequency) with Genie openers, and my non-Genie gate opener. One button for the garage, one for the basement door, and one for the shop door/gate opener. You just have to make sure the two door you want to open off one button are far enough away that both don't operate at the same time....usually NOT a problem, since the range on them is fairly limited.

Yep...as Bengineer said, you need a 318mhz receiver. Simply use it instead of the 315 that comes on the opener you want to use.

$25 at Amazon.

ALLSTAR 110548 Garage Door Openers MVP 1 Channel Receiver 318MHz - - Amazon.com

41GmgWtoSNL.jpg

I did the same thing (different frequency) with Genie openers, and my non-Genie gate opener. One button for the garage, one for the basement door, and one for the shop door/gate opener. You just have to make sure the two door you want to open off one button are far enough away that both don't operate at the same time....usually NOT a problem, since the range on them is fairly limited.

I dont what to open 2 doors off 1 button, so thats not an issue.

I have 2 remotes with 3 buttons. I have 3 garage doors. 2 have a linear opener, and 1 I am going to put a liftmaster 3900/8500 opener on.

Using that 318mhz reciever, how do those work with codes or whatnot? Does it "learn" the code from my remote? similar to programming the remote to the door? or will any 318mhz signal activate that reciever regardless of code?