Garage Design Feedback

/ Garage Design Feedback #21  
I would leave the doors where ever you want, they make some really nice garage doors.

/ Garage Design Feedback #22  
Do you get any snow? If you put the garage doors towards the front of the house, you will need to back drag the snow from in front of the 3 doors and then find a place to move it to out of the way. If you put the doors on the side, then it is a straight shot to push the snow to the back. No back dragging and moving the snow multiple times.

/ Garage Design Feedback #23  
Do you get any snow? If you put the garage doors towards the front of the house, you will need to back drag the snow from in front of the 3 doors and then find a place to move it to out of the way. If you put the doors on the side, then it is a straight shot to push the snow to the back. No back dragging and moving the snow multiple times.

Valid point.

I dont like doors on the eave ends for the same reason. snow falls off roof and creates a pile right in front of the doors.

Doors on gable ends is better in snow country

/ Garage Design Feedback
A 1-ton dually don't justify 12' doors IMO.

I had 9' doors on my old shop. Pulled my dually and 9' plow In there all the time. 10' would have seemed like a walk in the park.

12' is certainly nicer, but certainly not a need.

You obviously did not have a wife who also drives your dually. If so she must have better driving and backing skills than mine. Not too concerned about snow. We only average 3-4 removable snow falls a year and the tractor with fel blade makes pulling snow away from doors if needed a non issue.

/ Garage Design Feedback #25  
Personally, I like the like of 10' doors better than the larger ones, but that's just me. We have 10' wide by 7'-6" tall on ours and my Super Duty with the towing mirrors slid out fit just fine.

I second the thought of moving the man door in the back away from the steps a bit. At least give yourself enough room to swing the door all the way open in front of the steps, or just swing it the other way.
The wife's car still carries the fender scar from backing out of I guess it was 9 foot door (I always thought it was 10 foot) which is a bit tight for larger trucks, SUV's and the like. My truck would not fit comfortably without folding in the mirrors, it may have squeezed in if perfectly centered but replacing power mirrors isn't cheap.
Wider doors may not "look good" compared to 3 little tiny doors, but they are way more functional for parking cars, backing in boats, trailers etc. I remember having to push my boat in by hand because of the tight space in the "10 foot" double doors on my old house.

/ Garage Design Feedback #26  
Valid point.
I dont like doors on the eave ends for the same reason. snow falls off roof and creates a pile right in front of the doors.
Doors on gable ends is better in snow country
Yep, the first draft of the plans for the polebarn we had built had the doors on the eave ends. We rotated the roof (which required 40' trusses instead of 30' trusses, but it used less trusses so the cost was about the same).

Aaron Z

/ Garage Design Feedback #27  
The covered breezeway certainly seems wide like you mentioned, but it seems like it would be a nice sun/sitting room or mud room if it were enclosed (with plenty of windows of course) The other added bonus is that whatever your intended use of the upstairs is, with an enclosed breezeway you can walk between the house and garage in your PJs during the winter.

Now as far as the work space of the garage goes ... I've also wanted a lift or at least a pit for vehicle maintenance and at least one wall dedicated for tool cabinets/work bench/etc that is off limits for storage.

/ Garage Design Feedback #28  
If you can fit it into your plans without it looking awkward, I'd design at least one garage bay with an eleven or twelve foot ceiling to accommodate one of those floor-mounted lifts; makes most any kind of vehicle maintenance much easier. Beautiful place, by the way; I'm envious.

/ Garage Design Feedback #29  
I agree with the others that have stated the rear door needs to swing the other way or be moved (or both)

I also agree that with your overall design & layout that using nice garage doors will not detract from the rest of your house. I'm thinking some of the overhead style that look like split carriage doors would look perfect.

And lastly - every mans worst nightmare - lets talk about size.
Is it just going to be for parking cars or are you going to use it as a shop? If you are going to use it as a shop, will you wish you had a lift in it some day? My shop is 30 wide and 28 feet deep, its a pretty good size for 2 vehicles with room for tools on one side and storage and a work bench across the back. My only problem is I wish I had built it taller so I could have a lift.

Going in a slightly different direction - You are looking at 28' D X 36' W.
28' Deep is great for getting a vehicle in and still having room for tools, a bench, work area at the rear. Having 12' per bay however is not so ideal.

Dads old shop was 28' square - 2 door. We had plenty of room to have 2 vehicles side by side, open doors, have tools / parts etc. between them and still move around (Work bench was across the rear).

The attached garage on their current house is 26' square and getting in & out of Dad's F150 on the side near the wall is a real trick. Luckily that garage is just car parking & all the workshop & lawnmower storage is in "The Man Cave" (Single bay Over/Under 16' x 24' I think)

If you are going to just use this for car parking / storage and continue to use the current garage as your true working area then I think you'll be fine otherwise you might want to go a little wider than 36'

My current "garage mahal" plan is 24' D by 36' W - 2 Bay w/ workshop and I'm allowing 14' per bay and 8' X 24' work / storage area on the side. Of course I have to build the house that goes in front of it first. LOL

Good luck with your plans & beautiful house!