Galaxy Ez Rider R-4 Tractor tires

/ Galaxy Ez Rider R-4 Tractor tires #1  

helpfulbook

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4700 Woods Backhoe 750, 460 Loader, Woodmaxx SB-72
I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these Galaxy Ez Rider R-4's?
I currently have Titan R4's on now.
They are R4's, but have a tread design of an R1 tire.
I am thinking of buying a set of these Galaxies!
Any thoughts?

/ Galaxy Ez Rider R-4 Tractor tires #2  
Galaxy makes really good tires. I don't know about the EZ Rider tires specifically, though. R4 tires are the same tread design, just shallower and with a wider bar. Other things made for construction use differentiates them from R1s.

/ Galaxy Ez Rider R-4 Tractor tires
Thanks Tractor Tech, I'm surprised that I'm not finding more info on these tires.
I think they may be something new,

/ Galaxy Ez Rider R-4 Tractor tires #4  
If you think the tread pattern will work for you, by all means go for it.

But the tread pattern is one of the only things that effectively separates an R4 from an R1 when used on a smaller machine, on dirt. So if an R4 looks enough like an R1, it basically is one. At least on a smaller machine, on dirt.

On heavier machines on constructions sites and operating partially on pavement and gravel/rock, other differences have more bearing. Puncture resistance is one thing. Longevity is one thing. Wear from steering on pavement/concrete/rock is going to be much less when you have more tread bars in contact, thus less 'ground pressure'. In my opinion a lot of what makes an R4 an R4 on something like a heavy skid steer or TLB has very little benefit when used on a lighter machine that is on relatively 'soft' dirt (compared to gravel/caliche/asphalt/concrete) most of the time. What's left is the puncture resistance and long wear life. But if you stay on dirt with a light machine it will take you forever to wear out a set of tires anyway.

Basically, if i picked a number out of my a$$ for weight, let's say on a sub-7000lb machine that mostly operates on dirt, you would do as well or better with R1s vs R4s and about the only trait from the R4 you might appreciate or get any use from, is the extra structure giving you some more puncture resistance.

That's my read on things, anyway.