Ga Annual vs. Permanent Trailer Tag

/ Ga Annual vs. Permanent Trailer Tag #1  

Panik

Gold Member
NW Ga - somewhere near that time zone thingy
Tractor
Kubota bx2360
Good morning. I'm getting ready to renew my tag for my equipment trailer. Last time I checked Ga offers both an annual as well as a permanent tag option. The trailer is a 20', 10K, non-commercial bumper pull trailer. My understanding is that the upfront cost for a permanent tag is higher, but then the annual fee is significantly lower than tags that need to be renewed annually. Does anyone know what if any other differences, or downsides there are with going to a permanent tag? Or am I misunderstanding how trailer tags work in Ga? I'm still a newbie to trailers as well as being a FL transplant. Thanks

/ Ga Annual vs. Permanent Trailer Tag #2  
In case you are interested, there's an economic answer to your question assuming the only difference is the payment option. What are the costs of the annual and permanent tags, and how long to you plan to keep the trailer?

Steve

/ Ga Annual vs. Permanent Trailer Tag
Steve, all things being equal, I don't really foresee not keeping the trailer for the long term. While I don't have the numbers offhand my understanding is that it would likely work out in my favor financially to go with the permanent tag option.

What I don't know is if there are any requirements/regulations/implications with having a permanent tag that I am not aware of. I don't believe that there are, and when I spoke with the folks at the local tag office they didn't think there were as well. That being said information from the county tag office is a bit of a luck of the draw thing. I once had a lady at the office try to charge me an additional tax because she misapplied a statute to my vehicles.

I'm just trying to make sure I cover my bases and make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I go with the permanent option.

/ Ga Annual vs. Permanent Trailer Tag #4  
Steve, all things being equal, I don't really foresee not keeping the trailer for the long term. While I don't have the numbers offhand my understanding is that it would likely work out in my favor financially to go with the permanent tag option.

How about sharing the cost data when you obtain them. Some may be interested in learning how to make the decision from a financial standpoint.

Steve

Will do. I'm planning on running into town tomorrow and getting the tag taken care of as well as running a bunch of other errands. I'll post what i learn.

/ Ga Annual vs. Permanent Trailer Tag #6  
Will do. I'm planning on running into town tomorrow and getting the tag taken care of as well as running a bunch of other errands. I'll post what i learn.

Thanks. I love financial economics.:)

Steve

No dice today Steve. Stopped by the tag office twice and both times the line was out the office door. I'm planning on going early Monday - I'll let you know if I learn anything.

/ Ga Annual vs. Permanent Trailer Tag #8  
FWIW - Just got my first permanent trailer tag in NC. $70 and non transferrable.

/ Ga Annual vs. Permanent Trailer Tag #10  
another option though maybe not in GA is to tag it in ME