G3038

/ G3038 #1  

satx

Tractor
l2250
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new G3038. Made the decision yesterday and signing papers tomorrow. I'm on 5 very soft sloping acres with a seasonal creek, building a home on nights and weekends for the next 6-8 years. Main tractor use is going to be shredder, digging 500' water/power/internet lines, digging for septic tank and drain field, and finally clearing foundation for future house (within 6 months hopefully).

As far as the tractor, I'm looking at a total package of just under 20k for G3038 2WD w/ FEL ($13,750), auger ($950), 6' shredder ($950), 6' box blade ($575), 18' trailer ($2100). Financing is approved, just sales tax down, but I'll probably dump money into the loan and pay it off by May (almost half in my savings). The dealer didn't have a 4WD in stock or the G3033, which is disappointing. I was really in the market for a Kubota L2501 4WD FEL (asking $18,600 with 5' shredder) and went around shopping the other dealers for comparables.

Here are my concerns. I've never used a FEL before, just regular tractor work with 3PH. From what I read, it sound like a FEL is useless with 2WD. I'm going to be leveling a foundation, building up a few hundred feet of driveway, and later on digging a half acre pond (maybe clearing 1.5 acres). Does this setup seem reasonable? Again, I've never used a FEL, but there are all kinds of after market bucket ratchet attachments to simplify the job.

I asked about switching out to foldable ROPS and he called me back saying none of the G series had them... however, the brochure has them on the G.

Just seems like I can get so much more by going with LS and dropping 4WD. Also looked at a Workmaster 35 4WD FEL (G3033 equiv) they were asking $19,200.

/ G3038
Should mention that I'm not a fan of HST, so I went with gear since that's what I grew up on (Kubota L2250). What I'm used to is 21 HP PTO and what I was looking for is about the same at 20.5 HP PTO in the L2501. The 32 HP PTO on the G3308 feels like overkill, but I can run 6' implements.

/ G3038 #3  
I just bought a 3033H and am very happy. I am not sure I would want to buy a tractor this size, planned for a lot of FEL work, with only 2WD though.

I was torn on gear vs HST. I had HST on a Kubota B3030 a number of years ago, and decided to pay the extra 1k for it. I am glad I did. The ONLY time I maybe would prefer the gear is if I am droning along for a long time with the hog on the back. But my property is so sloped and bumpy, that I end up not even using the cruise on the HST much since I have to constantly adjust speed to keep my kidneys intact.

I bought the G3033H, FEL, 5' shredder, two sets of hydraulic remotes, loaded rear tires, A FOLDING ROPS, and a 20' trailer in a package for about 21k before taxes.

I could probably get away with a 6' shredder most of the time with the 26-27 PTO hp if I was willing to slow down a tad in really heavy stuff. I am certain it will handle a 6' RFM no problem.

In any case, for my needs and on my property (lots of slope), I am glad I got the 4WD and HST, so make sure you think hard!

When I looked, I would have spent 3-4k more for a Kubota that would have had less hp and less FEL lift capacity, or similar money for a much smaller tractor.

/ G3038 #4  
I'd suggest going with the 4WD due to your sloping acres and loader work. HST is much quicker doing loader work, no shifting, no wearing your leg out using the clutch. I never had an HST tractor (and didn't want one) until I bought a new tractor in 2004. HST was the only model in stock at the time. I bought it and never looked back. For the work I do HST is the best.

/ G3038 #5  
I have a G3033, and use it extensively on wet hillside, mowing spraying, hauling 1000 lb totes out of the vineyard. I think you would be very happy with this model, though a 3037 would be even better. I suggest you get the 4wd, especially with the loader, I have a John Deere 2wd, also and it just loses traction and digs ruts when the going gets tough.
Also, some day you may want to upgrade, and almost all buyers in this range want a 4WD with a loader, there is a reason you don't see that many 2WD compacts on the lots. Get the best tractor you can afford now, and you will not regret it later.

/ G3038 #6  
I have 3041 hydro. I would agree with others - wait for the 4wd. The 2wd will not be useless, but production and safety may be restricted. I gave gotten my rears light on a slope and without being angle to put it in 4wd it could have been ugly. Not sure how long you will need to wait, but for my money it would be worth it.

/ G3038 #7  
This may be late but I agree that the 4wd is a must. I have the G3038H and am just finishing what you are starting. I was always told that a 4wd is like adding HP and I know believe it. You will find you make more dirt with a box blade that a FEL. FEL on tractors don't dig like a skid steer. If I was moving dirt farther than I could drag with the box blade I would dig with the box blade, pile it up and then move it with the FEL. With that said, ripper teeth down and 2wd doesn't work. My tractor is almost always in 4wd.

I do have to say that coming from a farm and used to 60 to 90 hp 2wd tractors I have been very impressed with this tractor.