Funeral Costs

/ Funeral Costs #31  
My father passed last Saturday. He lived in Memphis but will be buried in STL in an already purchased plot next to my mom.

We had to make all the arrangements. Holy cow folks!

- casket $5500

- transport to STL $3000

- Memphis funeral home $3200

- STL funeral home $2200

- burial $1500

- flowers $800

- reception food $800

Original death certificates are $50 each. You need lots of original death certificates. Every POD wants an original.

Those are the big items. Lots of little stuff. Church ministers, choir and servers want their money in cash in an envelope.

My dad had put away the money for all the costs. That isn’t an issue. Nevertheless, it’s something to experience and it’s not a great experience.

I’d say if you haven’t prearranged everything, you should seriously consider.

MoKelly
Mokelly, I’m sorry for your loss. I pray for you and your families peace.
Thank you for your informative post. 🙏 May God continue to bless you and your family.

/ Funeral Costs #33  
Yes , my condolences and prayers for you and you family.

Our church provides a meal for the family of members at the fellowship hall after the service to help out.

My great aunt passed away about 2 years ago and her simple funeral was expensive about $7500.
Unfortunately she sprung a leak during the visitation. Embalming fluid was soaking her clothes and casket. Had to finish the funeral closed casket.
The funeral home deducted $3000 for the issue.

/ Funeral Costs #34  
MoKelley, my condolences.

I handled everything for both of my parents. Mom wanted a burial, Dad cremation. I don't remember the cost of either one but it was a few years ago. It doesn't matter now.

I ordered a lot of death certificates in both cases and only needed a few, and those were usually returned to me. But neither one had much. A more complicated estate could need more certificates.

/ Funeral Costs #36  
Sorry for your loss! I lost my Dad a year ago this coming Friday. Hard to believe how fast time goes by. Prayers for you and your family!

/ Funeral Costs #37  
Condolences for you loss. My father passed last November at the age of 93 in New Mexico and the state was shut down cause of COVID-19. So no church service just a grave side service. My father always insisted to not spend a bunch of money on burying him, he said “I ain’t in that box anyway.“ Still we spent $8500. Casket, flowers, death certificates, obit, etc. He was a WWII vet and the folded up flag was $150 to boot. They now make a cheap cardboard casket that is legal in Arkansas, so that’s gonna be the box for my bones one day.

/ Funeral Costs #38  
Condolences on your loss.

When my dad & stepmom passed they had signed up with a cremation service and everything was handled. I traveled to Florida to visit him after he passed and bring his ashes back for scattering per his wishes (mixed w/ my stepmother who pre-deceased him).

When my mom passed 12 years ago after we tallied the total costs we paid 24k all in that included transport of her body to her family plot in Kensico Cemetery so she could rest with her parents and aunts and uncles, all of whom were close. We rented a bus to transport everybody to the internment as it was just after a blizzard and roads were still dicey.

She didn’t have a large estate, but it was complicated and mistakes a lawyer had made in the 50’s on a trust document caused me lot of headaches as the Administrator of her estate making sure her wishes were followed. The family farm / vacation property wasn’t included as we had her put us on the deed 8 years before she passed when we took responsibility for the taxes and upkeep (she still got to use it as she wanted). Other than some grumbling about the farm afterward from siblings…”you declined to help with the taxes when she asked repeatedly, but hey, we’ll deed over to you half in exchange for half the taxes paid by us so far and going forward”…no takers.

/ Funeral Costs #39  
While it's annoying to see this thread bumped by a spammer, I'm glad I had a chance to read it. It's always a shocker, seeing how much dying costs.

I told the wife that when I go I want to be a tree, to hell with the funeral industrial complex.

/ Funeral Costs #40  
MoKelly please accept my most humble Condolences

Lost my wife 6 March 2023 I was not going to go into
debt for the funeral costs $9K plus. The cremation costs
$2,870 a few years ago was $800

willy