Full Woodshed, ready for winter!

/ Full Woodshed, ready for winter! #1  

jimmyj

Elite Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe
Let's see your woodshed pictures. Nothing is better than the comfort of seasoned wood "in the bank" long before you need it.

This wood is from the load I split early this year, the shed holds about 7.5 cords and I've got about 2 more cords elsewhere that won't fit. The shed itself is all made of scraps, cost under $200 to build.

So, whatcha got?

Attachments

• woodshed.jpg
    woodshed.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 1,259
   / Full Woodshed, ready for winter! #2  
"all made of scraps,cost under $200 to build."
Two for the price of one. :)

No fancy shed here,about mouth blue/gray roof (tarp) on 5 cord.

/ Full Woodshed, ready for winter! #3  
Looks like your perty well set Jimmy . I,m down to 1 rick of good split wood , Sadlly I had to put about 3 cords of split wood on the burnpile because it was infested with carpenter ants :( .

Slightly off topic , I hope you dont mind Jimmy . But We had a big tree fall on the top of Our fireplace chimney . We have an insert & I repaired the damage & the stone. but the top section of triple wall pipe & top cap was tore up Pretty bad .

My problem is no one around here carrys the stuff I need for retail sale . Unless they install it . I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy online without being a licenced fire place guy :eek: . Thanks for any advice if any one knows of a source . Bob

/ Full Woodshed, ready for winter! #4  
Thanks for the pics Jimmy.

Is it all stacked that neatly to the back?

/ Full Woodshed, ready for winter!
Bob, sad news. I know you are in a remote area and sorry I don't know of any sources. We are lucky here and can buy the tile and stuff at fireplace shops. Major bad news on the darned carpenter ants. They can only live in wood with access to moisture, maybe there was a leak or something to watch for next time.

Allenr, yessir my good man - all tidy and neat. 5 rows each bay, 1/2 cord per row with about an inch or 2 between for airspace (but I have to admit sometimes it's more or less as I'm not too fussed on log lenght). I figure the wood is mostly between 16 and 18 inches long.

/ Full Woodshed, ready for winter! #6  
cowboy357, my stove has 8" triple wall. Sorry can't help with a stove pipe supplier but I had to replace the original rain cap that was blown off and destroyed by a storm a couple years ago. I had no luck finding a triple wall cap, only cheaply made double wall rain caps around here. I finally found a well made cap on the net at Chimney Cap Design. They have several designs made out of Stainless Steel or copper. 8" triple wall caps were in stock. Price is a little higher but the quality is worth it. They also take custom orders.

Chimney Caps - shop online at Chimney Cap Design.

/ Full Woodshed, ready for winter! #7  
... cost under $200 to build.

So, whatcha got?

Similar here. $200 for the lumber at the mill up the road. The blue steel metal roofing was left over from the house being built (still have lots...but that's another story) I built 8 of these cribs, each holds a cord, fits two pallets perfect. About 3 feet high in the back, 5 feet high in the front, 8 feet wide, 4 feet deep. Holds 3 rows, wood about 18-20 inch long. Pallets are free from a lumber yard. The back of the cribs are enclosed year round with the tarps that you find on the skids of lumber at your local lumber store. They give them away here. In the fall, we cover the front as well. We simply go up in the woods and cut down a bunch of alder and roll the tarp around the alder, then screw the alder to the upright 2x4's. Keeps most of the snow out and when the sun does rise up behind that hill, and there's fresh cut wood in the cribs, you can see the steam curling out over the top of the metal. Almost like a kiln when its all enclosed.. :)

Attachments

• 20080602-wood-cribs1.jpg
    20080602-wood-cribs1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1,745
  • 20080602-wood-cribs2.jpg
    20080602-wood-cribs2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 421
   / Full Woodshed, ready for winter! #8  
cowboy357, my stove has 8" triple wall. Sorry can't help with a stove pipe supplier but I had to replace the original rain cap that was blown off and destroyed by a storm a couple years ago. I had no luck finding a triple wall cap, only cheaply made double wall rain caps around here. I finally found a well made cap on the net at Chimney Cap Design. They have several designs made out of Stainless Steel or copper. 8" triple wall caps were in stock. Price is a little higher but the quality is worth it. They also take custom orders.

Chimney Caps - shop online at Chimney Cap Design.

Thanks dirt ditch . That might just be the ticket with the triple wall cap , Might solve all My problems , Well as far as the chimney goes :D . Thanks again . Bob

/ Full Woodshed, ready for winter! #9  
Good Grief Jimmy,...thats a lot of scrap,..since you're only a couple hours away, I spose I could do you a favour and borrow the neighbour's dump truck and come help you get rid of a couple bush-cords of that scrap?

Darn shame you got stuck with so much scrap, ..but don'cha worry none, I'll be along shortly and help you out!!! NO, No, thats ok, you don't have to thank me Jimmy,...always glad to help a neighbour get rid of scrap,...just want to help!

Ha, ha !!,.....just kidding Jimmy! Don't bother chaining the gate, I'm not really coming hee, hee!

But I gotta tell ya,....I'm jealous as heck cuz my wood pile is still "just" a pile so I guess I better get at it. I found ants in some of mine a couple years ago, so rather than scrap it, I left it outside till the really cold nights, then brought some of those pieces in and directly into the big cookstove before they woke up!!! Glad I noticed them before dropping them into the kitchen wood box!!

Everything gets carefully examined before it come in now!

Relax Jimmy,.....but thanks for the wake-up call re: the wood pile,....and by the way, scrap or not, your shed looks great and its contents,....fantastic!!
(you happen to know the Fearmans in Blackwater?)

CHEERS,
. . tug

/ Full Woodshed, ready for winter!
Thanks Tug. Funny thing, I keep getting "offers" to help me get rid of that wood.:D I always worry about ants but so far no problems. I find ants can only live in damp wood so dry is safe.

Woodchuckcanuck's piles are really impressive I think.

P.S. Don't know the folks in blackwater, sorry.