Oil & Fuel Fuel Tank Drain Part Deux

/ Fuel Tank Drain Part Deux #1  

TonyC

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 1997 L3600DT 4WD with FEL
A bit ago I started a discussion about putting a fuel drain in the bottom of fuel reservoir to drain the water out of it periodically. I'm still trying to get someone to weld a nut on the bottom of my tank in order to screw in a petcock. Those that can weld aluminum evidently don't wish to fool with such a minor task. I've about given up.

Now for Plan B…here's my thoughts. I fix a nut on the bottom of the tank using JB Weld or something similar. After I'm sure it is well secured, I then drill a small hole in the tank then add the petcock. The obvious problem…150 gallons of diesel fuel dying to leak out on my topsoil. If not this year, maybe next?

So is this a really bad idea? Are there any other suggestions that don't involve welding?

/ Fuel Tank Drain Part Deux #2  
Tony,

How about taking out the plug and measuring the thread count and size.

Then have a machine shop take the next bigger NPT nipple and turn it down and cut threads on one end so it fits where the plug fit. Put an appropraite valve on the other end and your in business.

This is very minor task for someone with a metal lathe and basic expereince.

Fred

/ Fuel Tank Drain Part Deux #3  
This may solve your problem but it cannot drain the "last drop" of water but it would get most of it. See if you can find at one of Auto After Market Stores an after market drain for automatic transmission. You will have to drill a hole in your tank and fish the inside pc which is flanged thru the hole and then somehow hold the flange which is shaped like a nut so that a socket will fit it. Then you apply the exterior gasket and nut and you are done! I guess the best way to describe the thing is it is made like a bolt with a hole drilled thru it!
Leo

/ Fuel Tank Drain Part Deux #4  
You might see if you can find a thru hull fitting used on boats. They come in different sizes and made from different materials. I've seen them made of plastic, bronze and stainless steel.

/ Fuel Tank Drain Part Deux
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( then somehow hold the flange which is shaped like a nut so that a socket will fit it )</font>

Sounds interesting but... can I do this strictly from the outside of the tank? There's no way I can get to it on the inside.

Dave,

I know exactly what you mean but as I mentioned in my last reply (from 2 seconds ago!) I cannot get to it on the inside at all. Whatever I use must be installed strictly from the outside. But keep on thinking!!! I can use the brain power.

/ Fuel Tank Drain Part Deux #7  
Is the tank thick enough to drill and tap so you could thread the drain directly into the vessel itself?

Another idea is to check with marine propeller shops. They are used to doing small jobs and most time are very good at welding aluminum.

/ Fuel Tank Drain Part Deux #8  
OK, here's an idea for you. Find the place in your area that does fuel tank repairs and have them do it. They're used to dealing with tanks and used to welding aluminum.

Another option is to find the place in your area which teaches welding (including aluminum welding). Get hold of the instructor and work something out with him to do it for you. He's got all the experience and equipment to do the job and it would make a great 'show and tell' thing for class.

Good luck with your project. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Fuel Tank Drain Part Deux #9  
I missed the earlier thread, so:

I'm assuming this is a fuel storage tank. Why aren't you using a fuel filter with the water trap & drain on it? Screws in between the tank outlet & the hose.

Also, what do you mean no access to the inside of the tank? There has to be a fill openning. Should you wish to put in a 'bolt with a hole in it' you drill the bottom hole, run a wire from the fuel fill opening to the new hole you drilled, & slide the bolt down the wire. Some electrician's fish tape might help.

Ok, so now what are you really dealing with, & how stupid do I sound? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--->Paul

No you do not sound stupid at all! You have the basic gist of it, but...

First of all, to recap, yes I will have a water filter on the pump. The problem is that you never really empty the tank completely and the water sinks to the low part of the tank. Over a long period of time you end up with more water in there than you really like to see. The filter should catch it but a drain is a good idea.

To elaborate a step further, for this to work the tap has to be at the very end of the tank. The tank is mounted slightly oiff level to allow the water to run towards the drain. My problem is that this is a semi tank and for whatever reason there are baffles at each end of the tank with small openings in the bottom for the fuel to pass through. I guess they might be there to minimize the fuel movement in the tank. Becasue of these, I have no access at all to where the tap will be, at least from inside the tank. Make sense?