Fuel line problems in Ford 7710 Help

/ Fuel line problems in Ford 7710 Help #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
I have a Ford 7710 with 2 fuel tanks (1 above and 1 under the left fender) Apparently the 2 are connected by a large hose and the top tank gravity feeds into the bottom tank. I think the fuel pump probably pulls from the bottom tank. Anyway, here is the scenerio:

My top tank has been empty for about a week and my bottom tank gauge does not work. I was pretty sure it was getting low So I was filling my top tank. About 20 gallons into the fillup, I noticed fuel leaking from the bottom tank. Upon examination, I noticed that it was leaking from a small hose that ran from the bottom tank upward and to the rt side of the tractor under the hood. There was a small line going into a larger line held by a hose clamp. The larger line them connected to an elbow coming from the bottom tank and was also held by a hose clamp. Because of the tight quarters, I could not reach the hose clamp to tighten it. I gently tugged on the smaller line (running from the bottom tank to the upper rt side of the tractor, and it pulled out completely and the fuel began spewing. I then closed the shut off valve leading from the top tank (wow, it took lots of turns threads must be tiny) and the fuel stopped leaking. Upon examining the line I pulle apart, the smaller hard plastic line had a metal rod with a groove in it inserted in it. This then inserted into an 8" rubber tube and was held with a clamp. The other end of the rubber tube then connected to the metal elbow coming from the bottom tank (cluster of 3 on circular piece on top of tank). Im assuming the leak did not occur until the bottom tank filled completely and then put pressure on the line. Im also assuming that since it stopped after I turned off the top tank flow, that it is the line going from the bottom tank to the engine. However, I was able to crank the tractor and put it back into the barn so Im confused as to how it got fuel since it was disconnected. Anyway, here are my questions.

1) What does this line do?
2) Is the connection described factory or has it been Jerry rigged in the past?