Oil & Fuel Fuel Gauge Question........

/ Fuel Gauge Question........ #11  
A lot of cars run a 6 volt gauge and a voltage regulator that operates on a duty cycle ( on-off-on-off) that serves to delay the response of the gauge. I have no idea what they run on these tractors but I bet it's the cheapest thing they could build. It is recommended that you fill the fuel tank at the end of every day to minumize the possibility of condensation in the tank. If you fill the tank at night and check the gauge before you shut down for lunch you probably won't have to worry about the fuel level while operating the tractor.

/ Fuel Gauge Question........ #12  
Also most late model cars have pressure in the tank.Your tractor won't have much if any.Notice the hole in the fuel lid.This pressure helps in cars.But found out recently how important it can be.My dad has a 96 Izuzu Rodeo that he was having trouble with.The fuel gauge was acting up and the truck would run for a short period and shut off.Engine light coming on.After a few days of this, my Mom happened to notice the fuel cap was about to fall off.Sence she put it on tight.The fuel gauge behaves and truck runs fine.(GO
FIGURE).I understand the pressure related to the fuel pump thats easy.But WHO would think that would make the fuel gauge read erratically....?Sence I'm sure the tracors prob have the ol' cheep float type gauge I don't expect a perfectly steady gauge.Beside I usually, as mentioned fill up at the end of the day.Starting on full tank, I know I have at least 7hr of fuel....the next time I get on it....

O' and did we ever ribb the o'l man about that one....../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Laziness is the Father of invention.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
Lil' Paul
Proud owner of TC21D

/ Fuel Gauge Question........ #13  
Max

My TC45D bounces around too. Just one more thing to bother me on this big, overpriced, unreliable riding lawnmower.

Troy

/ Fuel Gauge Question........ #14  
Hi folks, they are two designs of automotive type fuel gauges.
The most comon is the the bi-metallic (heated needle) type that runs on a 12 volt off on pulse (50%duty cycle) that averages about 6-7 volts to gauge. This gauge takes a while to heat up and thus the slow needle rise and decay.
The other design is the magnetic coil type. This gauge uses two magnetic coils with the pointer in the middle, the needle will be pulled to the stronger of the two coils to give a reading. This gauges needle will quickly jump to whatever command that comes from the float resistance unit. English made cars used this type gauge extensively. General Motors also used this type of gauge a lot. GM however places a friction damper on the needle to keep it from fuel slosh jumping while most other manufactures do not. You will note that on some GM cars that the fuel needle will stay at indicated level even after turning off the ingition, this is because the damper will hold the needle in it's last position even with no power to circuit.
Note: when testing these fuel gauges the needle on the mag gauges will go to EMPTY when fuel sender is grounded. The reverse is true of the bi-metal gauges.
Hope this helps.

george

/ Fuel Gauge Question........ #15  
I checked the fuel gauge on my TN75D last night while bush hogging and it did not appear to be moving. Even when on rough ground.