Oil & Fuel Fuel Gauge Question........

/ Fuel Gauge Question........ #1  

max

I have a question about typical fuel gauge operation - in particular the gauge needle itself. Is it "normal" for the needle to "bounce around" when the tractor is moving? I was driving a TC35 and it was hard to tell the amount of fuel in the tank (when moving) because the needle kept bouncing around (fuel movement?). When I would come to a stop, after the fuel settled down, the needle would also settle down. Now, I know that the gauge in my dad's old garden tractor would do that (due to float movement), but I didn't expect that in a modern (expensive) machine - heck, my truck (or any other car) doesn't do it! Do all of these gauges on orange, green, blue, etc act the same way? I'd like to hear from anyone on this - especially the class lll Boomer owners, but I am interested if green & orange do this also.
Thanks,
Max

/ Fuel Gauge Question........ #2  
Nope, Max, I don't have that problem on my orange B2710. Works just like my car; takes awhile to come off the full mark, but then the lower it gets the faster it falls./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Bird

/ Fuel Gauge Question........ #3  
The fuel gage on my TC40 does bounce around also. The needle moves maybe a 1/4 of a tank when moving on rough ground. You would think they could have made it a little more stable.
Mark

/ Fuel Gauge Question........ #4  
My TC 45 does the same thing. Burns fuel faster than my last tractor to (MF 383 85hp).
Jeff

/ Fuel Gauge Question........ #5  
Ditto to what Bird said, cept mine is a L4310. But steady as a rock no matter how rough the ground.

Gordon

8-41268-jgforestrytractor.jpg

/ Fuel Gauge Question........ #6  
HI Max, I purchased a NH1720 in it's discontinued year and my fuel gage is steady as a rock. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Al

/ Fuel Gauge Question........ #7  
Max,
Until I read your post I hadn't noticed the fuel guage bouncing, but when I went out to play...work... this morning, I see that mine too bounces around. I must say though, that when I'm working on bumpy ground, I am worried about where the wheels are, if the FEL is up off the ground and what the cutter is doing in the back, what stump or rock is going to spring out of the weeds, or what low-hanging branch is sizing me up for batting practice....leaving fuel checking for quiet moments. The tractor does so many things well, I can't hold this against it.
Chas

/ Fuel Gauge Question........ #8  
Hi Max,

A TC29D was in the final running when I was tractor shopping. It had a very bouncy needle in the fuel guage. I did not like that at all. Ended up going with a Kubota B2410 and the fuel guage is very steady. No movement at all....except as I run the diesel out! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Kevin

/ Fuel Gauge Question........ #9  
I have to agree with Chas! My TC40 does everything so well, I can't hold the fuel gage moving a little against it. I have spent many hours on Green and Orange tractors and am the happiest with this one. It is comfortable and I have a great view with the contured hood. If the gage is what make you choose a tractor, you are not looking at the big picture.
Mark

/ Fuel Gauge Question........ #10  
There are two things regarding fuel that are important to me. First, when I get on my tractor, I want to know if I have enough fuel to complete my job (nothing like having to stop to go get some fuel...AARGH!). Second, when I'm operating, I want to know when my fuel is getting really low. Since we class III boomer owners have a big 13.5 gal. tank, when the gage's needle points into the red, we have about 3 gal left. At that point, it's time to stop and get some "gas" or be finishing up what we are doing. As long as the gage is giggling, I know I still have a little fuel. Anything that sloshes in the tank will produce movement of the needle. So, while having a needle with smooth operation on a car/truck is good, I can make a case (at least) for having movement of the fuel gage on my tractor. This weekend, I paid attention to the needle bouncing into the red and bought 10 gallons of diesel. It just filled the tank. So...I'm with you guys, the bouncing gage tells me that everything is working and I don't see it as a negative on our tractors. I'm just glad I don't have to carry a dipstick on my Boomer like I do on my old Ford Jubilee.

JimI