Oil & Fuel Fuel Filter Ring

/ Fuel Filter Ring #1  

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
I have a 4700. Saturday I changed the oil and filter as well as the engine coolent. Figured while I have the FEL and engine panels off I'll change the fuel filter.....

I can't get the ring that hold the fuel filter bowl and filter to move. The ring looks like a gear. I have used my strap filter wrench in the past but its a no go. Tried the big crescent wrench and it did not budge.

The nearest thing I can think of and have seen is a filter wrench that has appendages that MIGHT fit the gearing on the ring.

Anyone had this problem before? Know of a tool that might work? I asked the dealer and he had the same ideas I had. Not sure if that is good or bad. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks,
Dan

/ Fuel Filter Ring #2  
It sounds like this is the same as on my 4310. I had mine off to change the fuel filter this fall, and had no problem getting it off with a set of channel-locks. Probably would get decent grip with a big pipe wrench, as well. I remember it did take a remarkable bit of force to loosen, however.

JEA

/ Fuel Filter Ring #3  
I assume you are talking about the screen/sediment bowl assembly rather than the actual filter?

I did my 990 a couple months ago and had the same problem. I was starting to bend the mounting bracket that holds the assembly in place. I finally unbolted the whole thing and pulled the hoses off so I could get at it better. I think I ended up using a large pair of channel lock pliers around the ring and either a large crescent wrench or a vise to hold the rest of the assembly from turning. I was definitely tighter than I would have thought. I also found a bunch of grit in the threads that wasn't helping. I made sure everything was surgically clean when putting it back together and the ring went on much smoother than it came off.

/ Fuel Filter Ring #4  
Dan,
I have had to take a punch and tap on one of the flutes to brake the ring loose.

/ Fuel Filter Ring #5  
Yeah, just put a screwdriver blade against one of the cogs and smack the handle with anything at hand. Couple of taps will break it loose. Cheers!

/ Fuel Filter Ring #6  
I removed the whole fuel bowl assembly that the fuel lines connect to, in order to rotate the fuel bowl up from behind the FEL tower. It's bolted to the frame with a 12 mm bolt, assuming it's like on my 4010 (probably is). Then used channel locks to loosen the ring, holding the assembly in my hand. Put it back hand tight.

Ralph

/ Fuel Filter Ring #7  
The fuel filter on the 4710, I think is the same as on my 5420. Part number RE600021. If I remember correctly, I had to get both hands around the ring, apply upward pressure with a slight turn to the right and then to the left and it came loose. Not sure if that was the way it was supposed to work or if I just got lucky?? Be sure to note the arrows and the positioning of the filter to the housing and to the locking ring. Overall, I really do not like this assembly for a lot of reasons. I will discuss in a seperate post...

/ Fuel Filter Ring
Thanks for the responses.

I have changed the filter a couple of times but never had a problem until this time. I'll try to tap it.

I'm glad, I guess, that others have had to take off the assembly from the tractor. I was thinking I might have to do this as well since I was afraid I would break something when I was trying to wrench it off.

Hopefully a bit of Fluid Film will stop this in the future.

Later,
Dan