Fuel Filter question(jell,or something)

/ Fuel Filter question(jell,or something) #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
Greetings. I have this standard small paper filter on my tractor.(ford 1720). I am usually on top of filter changes.
The tractor sits in a heated basement. The outside temp is below zero and some wind chill also.
I was plowing some snow and it lost power under load. I removed the filter and the element. I couldnt blow through the element at all. and it looked to be somewhat deformed inward.So i replaced the element and bled the system. I took off the inlet hose and fuel flows freely. I took the hose off the injector and it also gravity fed.....No problem running now. But I got to wondering if it was just luck that it got normally plugged or if it had jelled.
In the basement the filter sat for a few hours and still couln't blow through it.The sediment bowl wasnt gooped up at all BTW>
So my question is. if it jelled I assume the filter would have looked (gooey) (tech term lol)
And also the bowl would look gooed?? Basically the filter looked brown and as I said you coulnt blow through it.(at all)
Any thoughts would appreciated.

/ Fuel Filter question(jell,or something) #2  
how long since the last filter change? could the paper element itself have broken down & restricted the flow?

/ Fuel Filter question(jell,or something)
how long since the last filter change? could the paper element itself have broken down & restricted the flow?

umm, Its been about a year since changed.it looked to be not broken but then its possible it was somewhat broken down. My understanding is its a very fine mesh holes.I guess i should ask how fuel in the bowl or the lines etc would look if jelled. I assume it would appear thick and jell like..Just seemed odd not to have more sediment in the bottom of the bowl..

/ Fuel Filter question(jell,or something) #4  
The fuel probably gelled on you and waxed up the filter, once that happens, I doubt if room temps for a few hours would be enough to melt the wax enough to let the filter work, best to just toss it rather than spend a lot of time worrying about it.

Get a new filter and make sure you've got enough treatment in the tank to prevent it from happening again.

/ Fuel Filter question(jell,or something) #5  
While you are at it, add a shot of biocide to your diesel fuel - just in case you are starting to grow some bugs.

Rgds, D.

/ Fuel Filter question(jell,or something) #6  
What time of the year did you buy your fuel, and, did you put any additives in it?

DEWFPO