Fuel filter bowl with drain

/ Fuel filter bowl with drain #1  

mikeh19d

Tractor
LS 3025H
I have a 2018 LS XG3025H and for some reason or another I'm getting water in my diesel fuel. I have changed the filter on the bulk tank but it seems water is still getting into the tank on the tractor. So what I'm looking for is a fuel filter bowl with a drain in the bottom. This way I can twist open a petcock and drain the water before starting. Does anyone know where I might get one? The fuel filter assembly number is 40207336. It seems this fuel filter assembly is used by a number of different manufacturers so I was hoping the part I need is out there. Thanks.

/ Fuel filter bowl with drain #2  
Steiner tractor parts website shows several 'sediment bowls' that ought to help you with this water problem. I searched for 'fuel filter bowl' and got several.

/ Fuel filter bowl with drain #3  
   / Fuel filter bowl with drain #4  
Think I'd install a Racor style fuel polishing unit between the fuel tank and the engine fuel system. The Racor style fuel polishing systems remove 99% of the water and other junk down to 30 microns and they have a clear bowl on the bottom that can be drained as well. Run them on both of my Kubota's. You can even get bowl heaters for them.

Since I installed mine, I've yet to change a spin on fuel filter or drain the clear sediment bowl.

/ Fuel filter bowl with drain #5  
If you open the bowl, won't you likely need to bleed the injectors?

I suppose there could be a design that let the water out but no air in, but it might be finicky.

/ Fuel filter bowl with drain #6  
Think I'd install a Racor style fuel polishing unit between the fuel tank and the engine fuel system. The Racor style fuel polishing systems remove 99% of the water and other junk down to 30 microns and they have a clear bowl on the bottom that can be drained as well. Run them on both of my Kubota's. You can even get bowl heaters for them.

Since I installed mine, I've yet to change a spin on fuel filter or drain the clear sediment bowl.
I was thinking that too, but does Racor make a small version filter setup that is easier to mount on a small tractor?

/ Fuel filter bowl with drain #7  
I was thinking that too, but does Racor make a small version filter setup that is easier to mount on a small tractor?
Sure do. I actually bought a pair of Conus Racor style fuel polishing units and refitted them with Racor aqua block 30 micron pass spin on filters (Racor Store & Amazon). The entire units measure about 5.5" long and 4" in diameter and the filter base has two through holes in it to mount to the tractor (actually a marine diesel unit). Put mine on the FEL loader upright. Very compact and the bases come with 2 inlet and 2 outlet threaded holes so as well as the barbed fittings and blanking plugs so there are many different combination to install them at. You run the fuel tank feed to the filter inlet and the outlet goes to the engine / primary filter in front of the fuel pump (lift pump) so the fuel is pulled through the unit. Very simple install. I like the clear bowl because all I have to do is look to see how much is collected and crack the bleeder valve on the bowl to drain it off.

If I remember correctly, the Conus filter bosses (and they came with a generic Racor filter were 28 bucks each and the genuine Racor 30 micron pass Aqua Block filters were 30 bucks each from the Racor store.

All the brands of polishing filters, all have the same threaded base so you can interchange spin on filters, don't matter what brand it is. I wanted genuine Racor so that is what I bought.

/ Fuel filter bowl with drain #8  
You don't have to pony up the big bucks for a genuine Racor filter and base as all the generic bases (made across the pond) will accept a genuine Racor spin on filter. Mine are very compact. Primarily made for marine use but diesel is diesel, boat, tractor or on road motor vehicle. As an aside, I have one on my class 8 road tractor too, came with the truck as an option when I bought it new.

/ Fuel filter bowl with drain #9  
If you open the bowl, won't you likely need to bleed the injectors?

I suppose there could be a design that let the water out but no air in, but it might be finicky.
I never have. The filter isn't even close to the injectors and the inlet and outlet is on top, the drain is on the bottom.

/ Fuel filter bowl with drain #10  
You don't have to pony up the big bucks for a genuine Racor filter and base as all the generic bases (made across the pond) will accept a genuine Racor spin on filter. Mine are very compact. Primarily made for marine use but diesel is diesel, boat, tractor or on road motor vehicle. As an aside, I have one on my class 8 road tractor too, came with the truck as an option when I bought it new.
Thanks for that info. I didn't know that about that about the adaptability. I laugh at the fact that they have the reputation as a marine filter, but they are very good.