Frontier SB2176 Snow Blower

/ Frontier SB2176 Snow Blower #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Just thinking about the snow removal issues in the Boston area the last couple of weeks and in particular the inability to clear tight city streets in residential areas. Not a fan of rear 3 pt hitch snowblowers, I was wondering if anyone made a loader mounted blower for compact tractors. Well aware of such units for big machines with their own power units but unaware of smaller ones.

Did a search and find that Frontier makes one for the 400 series loaders. Rear PTO hydraulic power pack is the power source. I imagine these things are pricey.

Only drawback I see from their literature is the discharge chute is not very high so does not look like it would lend itself loading trucks. On other side of coin, they say you need a minimum of 35 PTO HP. I believe the 4720 is over 50 PTO HP so a 4720 might be able to handle a taller chute.

Anyone have any experience with this unit?

/ Frontier SB2176 Snow Blower #4  
I looked at one at my dealer a couple of years ago. Really nice unit but a bit north of 10k list price so not cheap for both blower and power pack.

/ Frontier SB2176 Snow Blower
I looked at one at my dealer a couple of years ago. Really nice unit but a bit north of 10k list price so not cheap for both blower and power pack.
Figured as much. But like I said, given maneuverability of a 4x20, If it had a high enough discharge, would be a great unit for tight city streets.

Thinking about the application, perhaps if they made a unit that was not so wide, it might translate into higher discharge capability with same power pack.

/ Frontier SB2176 Snow Blower #6  
If you were interested enough, you could always extend or build another longer discharge chute. They are not to fancy and should be readily modified IMHO.

If you were interested enough, you could always extend or build another longer discharge chute. They are not to fancy and should be readily modified IMHO.
Hmnn- think its as simple as that? I would imagine the resistance in the chute is directly related to the height you are pushing-as well as diameter of the chute--at least I would think so.

Then again my snow blower experience is based on my little single stage Toro:laughing:

/ Frontier SB2176 Snow Blower #8  
Hmnn- think its as simple as that? I would imagine the resistance in the chute is directly related to the height you are pushing-as well as diameter of the chute--at least I would think so. Then again my snow blower experience is based on my little single stage Toro:laughing:

Hey Bob,

I picked up a Sb1164 rear 64 inch snow blower for the 3320 and love it. I think having the plow or bucket in the front and a snow blower in the back is a great combination. The snow blower is really heavy, so it also makes a great ballast. I think it's over 500 lbs. Turning around to snow blow backwards isn't that bad and it really moves these big snow piles from plowing, far out of the way. I was very glad to have this setup for this year's mess.

John

Hey Bob,

I picked up a Sb1164 rear 64 inch snow blower for the 3320 and love it. I think having the plow or bucket in the front and a snow blower in the back is a great combination. The snow blower is really heavy, so it also makes a great ballast. I think it's over 500 lbs. Turning around to snow blow backwards isn't that bad and it really moves these big snow piles from plowing, far out of the way. I was very glad to have this setup for this year's mess.

John
John,
Very nice-I would have to believe that with that hill of yours that is a great combination. I'm sure with the amount of snow we have had so far having that blower is a nice option. I'm not a fan of rear mounts from a safety perspective but when you are working in the familiar confines of your own property, not the same as going out in the commercial world.

no way I would spring for one of those Frontier front mounts but if I was plowing commercially, I think that is a nice unit. One of my friends son has 300 residential driveways
that he does with a fleet of 8 F-250's (He is a big time landscape contractor) He also has two Bobcats that he has to bring in when the driveways get just too packed and the plows have no place to push. I would think a blower would be ideal for that work.
Bob
PS AVATAR looks good!

/ Frontier SB2176 Snow Blower #10  
Just thinking about the snow removal issues in the Boston area the last couple of weeks and in particular the inability to clear tight city streets in residential areas. Not a fan of rear 3 pt hitch snowblowers, I was wondering if anyone made a loader mounted blower for compact tractors. Well aware of such units for big machines with their own power units but unaware of smaller ones.

Did a search and find that Frontier makes one for the 400 series loaders. Rear PTO hydraulic power pack is the power source. I imagine these things are pricey.

Only drawback I see from their literature is the discharge chute is not very high so does not look like it would lend itself loading trucks. On other side of coin, they say you need a minimum of 35 PTO HP. I believe the 4720 is over 50 PTO HP so a 4720 might be able to handle a taller chute.

Anyone have any experience with this unit?

We've sold a few of these units in the past, they are pricey but are like nothing else in the market. The blower will throw snow about 50ft and operating with your front loader makes everything much more convenient. The hydraulic power pack is easy to hook up and will allow you to take the blower off the front loader easily. For those who don't know what this product is, here is a link Frontier 64" Loader-Mount Snowblower (SB2164) for sale | Tractor Attachments Fort Wayne, IN