Front mount ATV paddock topper and light duty rough/slope terrain brush mower

/ Front mount ATV paddock topper and light duty rough/slope terrain brush mower #1  

cpy911

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 445, Craftsman GT 6000, Yanmar YM186D
I did some looking online (Youtube) for what people had done for a front mount ATV mower. I just started hacking this together and making up the design as I went along. I am not a fabber, not a welder, just like DIY (or being cheap) and try to learn what I can by making mistakes and improving.

The primary purpose of this machine is to quickly knock down the pasture weeds that grow taller than the grass and grasses that are going to seed that the cows don't get to. Right now, it is at a fixed height of about 6" cut for "pasture topping". I find that the ATV is faster for light duty stuff like this than the tractor. It would probably fail mowing tall thick fescue...that is not what it is for though.

The secondary purpose is to mow down light brush/grasses on some sloped areas on the property that I am not comfortable with using the tractor. These areas are easy with the ATV without a problem, that includes a small sloped part of the pasture that is easy to ride on with the ATV. Every summer, I thoroughly mow the pastures by knocking down all the dead stuff the cows left.

I literally built this out of stuff I had sitting around and the mowers were purchased for about $50 from craigslist. I consider it a prototype and will work out the bugs and rebuild it out of complete steel (or use as is, until the deck and side frame rots out and the mower engines no longer stay "mounted")

I am not quite finished, need to make the hitch on the front of the ATV, add some more cross braces and cinch everything down.

I would do it completely different, knowing what I know now, but had to go through the first iteration to learn. Wanted to keep it simple and cheap: direct drive with two proven technology mower engines (no belts, etc). The most expensive item is the castors form Harbor Freight at $18 a piece. They are heavy duty greaseable at least.

Which way is front? The motors are mounted so I can easily pull the cord...so they are technically backwards. Honestly, this could be pulled or pushed any direction and it should matter. I could pull it with my riding mower if needed.

I am posting this to help others with their ideas and like similar projects...not as an example of quality fab work as it is not that great.

Regards,
cpy911

Staging 1.jpg

More stating.jpg

Mor layout.jpg

Layout.jpg

Fitment to ATV.jpg

Kind of complete.jpg

/ Front mount ATV paddock topper and light duty rough/slope terrain brush mower #2  
Interesting....

I want to see a report with pictures of how it works...
Good luck...

/ Front mount ATV paddock topper and light duty rough/slope terrain brush mower #3  
We bought such a mower in 2003 and found it was quite unwieldy on any sort of a slope when trying to turn uphill.
QC-3-cropped.jpg

It has three cutting discs, for a total width of 60 inches, and was powered by a Kohler 16hp single cylinder.

The manufacturer recognised the steering limitations, and offered an optional "tow behind" kit.

QuadCutter - tow mode.jpg

In this configuration, it's brilliant! No fumes, and easy towing.

I replaced the original engine with a twin Kohler 22hp, and it does the job we ask of it. The 16hp was just a little underpowered for the grasses we were mowing,

/ Front mount ATV paddock topper and light duty rough/slope terrain brush mower
We bought such a mower in 2003 and found it was quite unwieldy on any sort of a slope when trying to turn uphill.
View attachment 726848

It has three cutting discs, for a total width of 60 inches, and was powered by a Kohler 16hp single cylinder.

The manufacturer recognised the steering limitations, and offered an optional "tow behind" kit.

View attachment 726849

In this configuration, it's brilliant! No fumes, and easy towing.

I replaced the original engine with a twin Kohler 22hp, and it does the job we ask of it. The 16hp was just a little underpowered for the grasses we were mowing,
This is good to know. Thank you. In tow configuration, do the back wheel still swivel? Is the mount to the back of the ATV swivel?

Last edited:
   / Front mount ATV paddock topper and light duty rough/slope terrain brush mower #5  
Here are a couple pics which hopefully will be helpful!

The starter motor for the Kohler gets it's power from the ATV, and I've disconnected the charging circuit of the Kohler. I didn't want to have the ATV AND the Kohler both pumping charge into the ATV's battery. It might not have been necessary, but I figured the bike's charging circuit would be just fine without the help of the Kohlers.

Hope these help.

Quad cutter tow mod.jpg
Quad cutter tow mod.jpg

Quad cutter towbar.jpg
Quad cutter towbar.jpg

Oz_Kioti, those pictures are great! Good explanations. Thank you!​

I was able to get it more or less complete and hooked it up to the front of the ATV (after attaching a mount to front of ATV)

Front mount.JPG

front mount 2.JPG

I tried it out and discovered quickly that steering it uphill is very difficult as Oz_Kioti stated. Going downhill is fine. I was trying to get uphill and the steering got difficult and then my front mount broke off, I have since really reinforced it. Thanks to that input, I had already modified my design to be a pull behind config...which is fine for the pasture as it is big with long swaths. Following is tow configuration. Note the crazy metal, I just welded together what I had on hand.
Tow config.JPG

I recently found this company in Australia. They have something similar to what I have put together...wish I could have seen this sooner for more inspiration...oh well. Video of it in action. They have staggered their engines, which is probably better. I had measured my cheap craftsman rider with a two spindle deck and found about 1/4" blade gap between the blade tips...I went with 3/8" to ensure the blades don't crash into each other. I am not looking for a perfect look...just knock down the weeds and seed head grass that the cows missed.

I will update this when it is time for mowing!

Last edited:
   / Front mount ATV paddock topper and light duty rough/slope terrain brush mower #8  
interesting project, Thanks for sharing. I have contemplated a project like this for some time now to control grass and small willows on our cross country ski trails.

/ Front mount ATV paddock topper and light duty rough/slope terrain brush mower #9  
Interesting build. Keep us posted!

Got it to a working level now. Time to try it out this Spring. On to other projects now. Will report and try to make a video of it going. I am afraid tow behind will be best configuration to work.
IMG_6027.jpg