Front Mount 4WD Mowing - Kubota, John Deere, Ventrac?

/ Front Mount 4WD Mowing - Kubota, John Deere, Ventrac? #1  

cray54

I have a Kubota F2880 that I really like with a 72" deck (Hobby / home mowing). I am looking to get a newer machine, still used, just a few years newer / lower hours. I'm specifically looking for front-mount 4WD mowers.

Before just getting another Kubota, I'd like to consider which of these front mount machines is easier to use for complex spaces that require maneuvering. The typical response is a zero turn is best, but there are many areas we can't do with a zero turn and need the 4WD, so I am looking for a good compromise. The F2880 does nicely, but I would switch if there is a better option. I think the primary measurement is looking for is the tightest mowing radius (uncut spot when turning in a circle) with a 72" deck or possibly with a 60" deck.
  • Kubota (F3080 or similar)
  • John Deere (1445 or similar)
  • Ventrac (4200 or similar)
I have not had the opportunity to mow with a JD or Ventrac, so I'm hoping someone here has experience with the lot.

Thank you, Chris

/ Front Mount 4WD Mowing - Kubota, John Deere, Ventrac? #2  
   / Front Mount 4WD Mowing - Kubota, John Deere, Ventrac?
Ventrac.

Ventrac has a frame which articulates in two dimensions...
I thought only the newer Ventracs flexed in the middle (i.e., out of my budget, I'd be looking at the 4200 lineup.). That said, both the Kubota and John Deer allow axle flex as well.

/ Front Mount 4WD Mowing - Kubota, John Deere, Ventrac? #4  
I have a JD 1420 4wd 60" deck 27 hp with a Yanmar gas engine. If I want to do a 360 circle its maybe 1 foot uncut. If I use steer brakes it is like a zero turn but it will mark up the lawn.

I bought it used and it has hours but it runs like a champ. I am in same situation where there are times I need a 4wd mower plus raising front deck makes cleaning easy and allows me to cut higher when I am going in heavy vegetation areas as needed. Size and hp wise it is very similar to your 2880.

A larger deck will give you better performance on minimizing uncut grass if doing a 360 turn but you also loose maneuverability due to extra width. Going with a new model might have some increased "creature comforts" but as performance in what you are describing I have a feeling the differences would be nominal.

/ Front Mount 4WD Mowing - Kubota, John Deere, Ventrac? #5  
If you have a large wallet and want a good mower, I suggest you look at Grasshoppers. They come in gas and diesel and the deck flips up for easy maintenance. Very pricey though. They were around before anyone else.

If you have a large wallet and want a good mower, I suggest you look at Grasshoppers. They come in gas and diesel and the deck flips up for easy maintenance. Very pricey though. They were around before anyone else.
I had a Grasshopper 928d with a 61" deck and the grass collection system before my Kubota. It was really nice and maneuverable... and fast. Also, the deck height adjustment was awesome. However, I couldn't let just anyone drive it as you needed a good amount of skill to do so; and it couldn't get to the places where I found I needed the 4WD.

I thought only the newer Ventracs flexed in the middle (i.e., out of my budget, I'd be looking at the 4200 lineup.). That said, both the Kubota and John Deer allow axle flex as well.
I checked into it further - I was wrong. The Ventracs have flexed all along, it is just recently that they've started marketing the feature.

I have a JD 1420 4wd 60" deck 27 hp with a Yanmar gas engine. If I want to do a 360 circle its maybe 1 foot uncut. If I use steer brakes it is like a zero turn but it will mark up the lawn.

I bought it used and it has hours but it runs like a champ. I am in same situation where there are times I need a 4wd mower plus raising front deck makes cleaning easy and allows me to cut higher when I am going in heavy vegetation areas as needed. Size and hp wise it is very similar to your 2880.

A larger deck will give you better performance on minimizing uncut grass if doing a 360 turn but you also loose maneuverability due to extra width. Going with a new model might have some increased "creature comforts" but as performance in what you are describing I have a feeling the differences would be nominal.
I realized I hadn't actually measured my current cutting circle. With the F2880 and 72" deck, the uncut circle measured 43" in diameter turning left, and 53" in diameter turning right. This unit is symmetrical, so I may need to adjust steering a bit or may have a stop out of adjustment.

If the JD 1400 is hitting ~12" uncut diameter, that sounds fantastic!

/ Front Mount 4WD Mowing - Kubota, John Deere, Ventrac? #9  
My Kubota F2000 will circle a 12" tree stump, that's with a 72 inch deck.

My Kubota F2000 will circle a 12" tree stump, that's with a 72 inch deck.
If I recall, that F2000 deck is not centered, right? So, it turns a very tight circle in one direction, but not in the other?