Front loader

/ Front loader #1  

Brady D

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1910, Case farmall 95, John Deere 317g
I have a ford 1910 2wd and I’m wanting a front loader, would it be too much stress on the front axles, I’m not looking to max out lift force trying to pick stuff up just wanting it for some medium to light work

/ Front loader #3  
   / Front loader #4  
Do note that loaders on smaller and lighter 2wd machines can be less than ideal. No front brakes, no front gears, real easy to lose control on a hill if your rear end gets a little light. Ballast conservatively.

/ Front loader #5  
I should have added one other thing: If running a loader on a 2wd machine, be sure to back down all hills, when you have a load in the bucket. This keeps more weight on your rear wheels, where your brakes are. Many of us (myself included) can tell a story of some old timer warning us about it, failing to heed the advice, and then free-wheeling down a hill at speeds that loaded tractors should never achieve.

The issue is that the weight is cantilevered out in front of your forward axle, lifting weight off the rear tires. On slippery grass or loss dirt, there's just not enough weight remaining on the rear, when facing down a hill, for traction to hold when you press the brake pedal. Backing down the hill transfers more of the weight onto the rear axle.

Those with 4wd don't need to worry about this as much, as long as they remember to engage it before heading down a hill. The link between front and rear axles thru the transfer case means that brakes applied on rear wheels only, still have an effect on the front axle.

/ Front loader #6  
I have a Ford 1720 which is lighter than yours that has an Allied 195 that's rated at lifting something like 1000lbs to full height (with rear ballast of course). It has a fabricated mount. Allied is no longer in the loader business but there are similar size loaders available.
The manual will have a max front axle load.
The tire weight limit given by the manufacturer is the limit for a rated speed (usually 20mph IIRC). Lower speeds can accommodate higher weight.

/ Front loader #7  
I have a Ford 1720 which is lighter than yours that has an Allied 195 that's rated at lifting something like 1000lbs to full height (with rear ballast of course). It has a fabricated mount. Allied is no longer in the loader business but there are similar size loaders available.
The manual will have a max front axle load.
The tire weight limit given by the manufacturer is the limit for a rated speed (usually 20mph IIRC). Lower speeds can accommodate higher weight.
The loader is rated at 1000#, but the hydraulic valve relief is set at a certain pressure so as not to overload the axle rating. The axle rating is what you are looking out for and in the case of the 1910, the loader should be set to lift no more than 900#