Front hub play

/ Front hub play #1  

Gunner 76

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1715
Had to replace both spindle seals on my GC1715 and I noticed one of the hubs has a little bit of side to side play and the other side has none. How much is allowed before you need to tighten it up and how do you tighten it?

I don't know if it had play before I took it apart as that's the one thing I didn't check. The rest of the seal change went ok, removing the C clip was the worst thing of the job.

ETA. With only 265hrs on the machine and limited loader use I was kind of surprised the seals started failing. The one side started seeping this winter and the other side started seeping a couple weeks ago.

/ Front hub play #2  
I'm assuming it's a Front Wheel Assist unit?? If it is and there is any vertical or horizontal play in the outboard end of the axle, that means either the bushings or the internal kingpin is in need of replacement and they are not 'adjustable' least not on my Kubota's they aren't.

When they get excessive play in then, at some point, the seal is unable to contain the fluid and will weep. I check mine often by jacking up the front end, removing the wheels and grabbing the outer assembly and wiggling it. If it wiggles either vertically or horizontally, it's bushing or internal kingpin time and in my case, it's usually the bushings that need replaced. They are very similar to main bearings in a car engine. Lead alloy over bronze backing.

Always keep an eye on my gear oil level too. You never want then to get dry.

265 hours and slop is pretty unusual I'd say. I had to do one of my Kubota's as 3000 hours and the other at 5,000 hours and I do a lot of heavy loader work all the time as in moving large round bales in the fields and loading them on semi trailers.

Not hard to replace (on the Kubota's at least, they drive out and drive in with a suitable bushing driver. Taking them apart is a chore but doable with normal hand tools and time.

Like I said, no adjustment. The tolerances are pre set by the bushings and internal kingpin.

Least on my Kubota's, I can grease them. Both have zerk fittings on top of the axle housings.

/ Front hub play #3  
Had to replace both spindle seals on my GC1715 and I noticed one of the hubs has a little bit of side to side play and the other side has none. How much is allowed before you need to tighten it up and how do you tighten it?

I don't know if it had play before I took it apart as that's the one thing I didn't check. The rest of the seal change went ok, removing the C clip was the worst thing of the job.

ETA. With only 265hrs on the machine and limited loader use I was kind of surprised the seals started failing. The one side started seeping this winter and the other side started seeping a couple weeks ago.
are talking about play on the wheel stud plate on the outer wheel housing?
this is from GC2400 service manual but should be pretty close to the same.

wheel_housing.PNG

or is the play on top on final case where the bevel gear comes through?

final_case.PNG

the bevel gear does use bearings.

bevel_gear.PNG

Last edited:
   / Front hub play
are talking about play on the wheel stud plate on the outer wheel housing?
this is from GC2400 service manual but should be pretty close to the same.

View attachment 806469

or is the play on top on final case where the bevel gear comes through?

View attachment 806471

the bevel gear does use bearings.

View attachment 806472
The play is the wheel stud plate.

I just wonder if I damaged it taking it apart. That side would not split apart so I tapped on the stud plate a few times until I got enough separation to get a wedge in-between the two halves to pry it apart the rest of the way. It didn't dawn on me until after I was done and saw how everything is pressed together that maybe that wasn't a good idea.

/ Front hub play #5  
Take a bastard cut flat file to it and remove the proud areas and apply some sealant like Kubota 3 bond or Permatex gasket sealer.

On my Kubota's there is a large 'O' ring that fits in a groove between the outer plate and the hub but I still apply sealant anyway.

/ Front hub play #6  
The play is the wheel stud plate.

I just wonder if I damaged it taking it apart. That side would not split apart so I tapped on the stud plate a few times until I got enough separation to get a wedge in-between the two halves to pry it apart the rest of the way. It didn't dawn on me until after I was done and saw how everything is pressed together that maybe that wasn't a good idea.
on the gc2400 there is a bearing right there and also at the bevel gear connected to the shaft.

bearing.PNG
23 is on shaft just inside "hub" and 22 is supporting shaft end at bevel gear interface. possible slight damage to one of these (if GC17x series the same) could have happened?

/ Front hub play #7  
On Kubota's (least the bigger ones like I own, the stub shaft) is retained by a split 2 piece ring (13 in your picture).

/ Front hub play #8  
On Kubota's (least the bigger ones like I own, the stub shaft) is retained by a split 2 piece ring (13 in your picture).
#13 there is oil seal.
and looking at the 1715 parts book on website to see if there clip that could be issue

there is a split ring on the gc2400

split ring.PNG

but can't find anything in 17x series parts book about that

/ Front hub play #9  
Like I said at the outset, not familiar with that brand but all FWA axles are basically the same.

/ Front hub play #10  
only thing I see on 1715 parts book is what they call washers (4 needed prob means 2 per side) that REALLY look like split rings. item 33.

1715.PNG

if one of those damaged/missing after seal replace would sure explain it.
if those are split rigs and if the retention is done just before bevel gear and bearing behind bevel gear supports end of shaft could be it.