Front end loader as an auto lift?

/ Front end loader as an auto lift? #1  

markie61

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King RK55HC with Loader & Backhoe; 2001 New Holland TC40D with Loader
Anyone ever use their front end loader to lift up the end of a car or truck for service?

I started thinking I could drive my little lawn tractors up on the forks and lift it up to remove blades, change oil, etc. Then I started thinking: could I lift my cars up (on one end/side only) for service? My loader lifts a ton, so it could handle the weight. I'd have build notched pads so it doesnt damage the under carriage or roll off.....Hmmmm/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif May use it like a floor jack.....

Dunno. Comments?

Mark

PS I would definitely block it up with jackstands for safety!

/ Front end loader as an auto lift? #2  
Been there, done that, got the T shirt.
SAFETY CHAINS! SAFETY STANDS! WHEEL BLOCKS!
GET STUPID = GET DEAD QUICK!
Did I mention safety?

/ Front end loader as an auto lift? #3  
we all like to find new uses for our tractors but i vote for floor jack with blocks. safest way to go.

/ Front end loader as an auto lift? #4  
Mark, I agree with Frank. Get a good floor jack for a vehicle and you will be miles ahead in maneuverability and safety. Just because the tractor can do it doesn't make it the "tool of choice" for this job. Now, if you want to jack up the front of your tractor, that FEL is just the ticket. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

/ Front end loader as an auto lift? #5  
I agree with the others that leaving a vehicle up on your loader is not safe while you are under it. I do however think that it might be a real quick and easy way to lift part of the vehicle up in order to put some jack stands underneath it. Anyone have any thoughts about the safety of this? I would imagine that as long as you got the jack stands under the vehicle quickly and correctly, you would not be any more or less safe than by using a jack in the first place. Just my .02, but it seems logical to me.

/ Front end loader as an auto lift? #6  
Having grown up the son of an auto mechanic I can tell you I would NEVER DO THIS. The angles aren't right. The vehicle can shift or roll. It's not the right tool for the job and the downside is far, far too high.

Use a good quality jack for lifting and jack stands for holding the vehicle in place once you have lifted it. Remember, jacks are only built to lift things; They are neither built nor designed to hold things in place.

/ Front end loader as an auto lift?
Good points - all well taken.

I consider myself "Mr Safety". I just bought a big Husqvarna chain saw and added helmet/screen and saftey chaps. I always wear a seatbelts. I force my teenage kids to wear bike helmets. I wear lung protection in the wood shop.

I don't think I'm crawling under a car with the tractor holding it up./w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Thanks for the input.

Mark

/ Front end loader as an auto lift? #8  
a 21hp craftsman can lift a ton?

/ Front end loader as an auto lift?
Oops..../w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif. Gotta change my profile.....
I was waiting until the new one gets here....
New Holland TC40D with 16LA loader /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.
I am gonna use THIS to lift the Craftsman.
Mark

/ Front end loader as an auto lift? #10  
Sure, all the time.

Here's the loader....

Attachments

• 47-217845-1CASERFS.JPG
    47-217845-1CASERFS.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 165