Front Axle Fluid

/ Front Axle Fluid #1  

Buckeyeman

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota T2290
I have a B7610 with the front axle leaking when in 4WD. I've noticed a lot of owners of tractors with a leaky axle have replaced the SUDT fluid with 80W-90 gear oil after replacing the seals. Has anyone replaced the fluid with synthetic gear oil? Will this hurt anything?

/ Front Axle Fluid #2  
Not familiar with your size but I'm running 75W-90 synthetic in my tractor front axles, supplied by my dealer when I said I wanted to run a synthetic gear lube instead of Super UDT2 or 80W-90 as specified in the book.

/ Front Axle Fluid #3  
I switched the front axle fluid to SUDT2 in my BX1500 and shortly thereafter it started to leak.
After that I switched it back to 85W90 gear oil and it stopped leaking.

/ Front Axle Fluid #4  
Always run 75w-90 synthetic gear lube in front axle, as per dealer's recommendation. If leaking doesn't stop after a change, you'll have some work in front of you by way of a repair. Not the worst thing to have happen.

/ Front Axle Fluid #5  
I had put hydraulic oil in the front of my L4400 at the 50 hr change, because the manual said I could, and it was cheaper than 80w-90. At 440 hrs, I had a terrible leak caused by a bearing/seal failure. Now it has 80w-90 synthetic, and always will. Pay for lubricants or pay for repairs, your choice. Personally, I'd fix the leak first...

/ Front Axle Fluid
I had a terrible leak caused by a bearing/seal failure. Now it has 80w-90 synthetic, and always will. Pay for lubricants or pay for repairs, your choice. Personally, I'd fix the leak first...

Yeah I plan on fixing the leak first, just wondered if synthetic gear oil was ok to put back in.

/ Front Axle Fluid #8  
I recently changed my front axle and put Kubota 80-90 gear oil in.

Kubota 80-90 gear oil in 2.5 gallon container. Part Number : 70000-10502

The price wasnt much higher than other brands so I support my dealer.

Oil_zps87ed0700.jpg

/ Front Axle Fluid #9  
This is one application where synthetics are vastly superior, quality synthetics anyway. I've been involved through the years continually upgrading an even more severe application. Synthetics can handle more heat than mineral oils, the right ones have superior film strength, and are just darn good. Kubota sells what I am sure is a good mineral oil in its 80W-90, but I think that is to be cost competitive. Remember that when a manufacturer sell an oil so many companies up the supply chain have taken their piece of the action it makes it hard to compete. If the mineral oil will do the job for 95% of the users, supply that. Have the dealer put the super oil in the hands of the customer they know will run to the limits even though that super oil may not be the manufacturer's brand.

/ Front Axle Fluid #10  
140819_0001.jpg
I agree Harry. like conventional oils, there's a vast difference in synthetics. After some research, I used Lucas Oil. It was about $100 for 2 gallons, but in the end, I think it's cheap insurance.