Oil & Fuel Front 4 wheel Drive External oil leak

/ Front 4 wheel Drive External oil leak #1  

NRMAlpacas

Tractor
YM 3110D
Hi everyone

I just bought a YM3110D and really new to mechanics. Not to mention my first tractor. Thanks for the help in advance.

On the front axle, I have a leak. The guy a bought it from said leaks happen. Especially in old tractors. What are some common thresholds for acceptable leakage from experienced owners? Can this particular leak be fixed on both sides? Is this a knuckle seal replacement - Yanmar Tractor Parts

Thanks all

Dennis
Northern Rocky Mountain Alpacas
NRMAlpacas.com

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 182
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 163
   / Front 4 wheel Drive External oil leak #2  
Hi everyone

I just bought a YM3110D and really new to mechanics. Not to mention my first tractor. Thanks for the help in advance.

On the front axle, I have a leak. The guy a bought it from said leaks happen. Especially in old tractors. What are some common thresholds for acceptable leakage from experienced owners? Can this particular leak be fixed on both sides? Is this a knuckle seal replacement - Yanmar Tractor Parts

Thanks all

Dennis
Northern Rocky Mountain Alpacas
NRMAlpacas.com

Yours is the first style on the repair page. You will see there is an old and new style on the 3110d if you go to Hoyes parts pages. You will have to determine which. No idea how bad the leak is but if everthing is tight you might try a little Lucas Power steering stop leak. I have changed both sides on my 2002D. Main thing is you don't want that bottom half to drop on your foot when it comes off. It is heavy.

/ Front 4 wheel Drive External oil leak #3  
I recommend pulling the drain plug for the knuckle (slowly) to see if there is water in the knuckle. There is a good chance that there is some water in there if the tractor was stored/left outside.

The 3110D that I purchased a few months back had only water in the right knuckle as it had pushed most of the oil out. I knew it going into the purchase and the price was adjusted accordingly. I currently have the front axle apart and am waiting on a few remaining parts to come in. Wound up ordering all new bearings as the water/condensation caused some rust in the knuckle and axle. May be a while before I get to rebuilding the axle/knuckles as I have a pretty good sized home improvement project going on right now.

Take caution and double check the measurements of the spindle and the bore of the lower gear housing. There is an old style and a new style as Mr. Winston has previously mentioned. A new style lower gear housing could also be installed on an old style spindle (this was the case with mine). Also as mentioned, the lower gear housing is pretty heavy so be ready for it when it comes loose.

/ Front 4 wheel Drive External oil leak #4  
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I have replaced the seal on both sides on my 3110D and I had to take the housing apart because the seal drives in from the inside and buts against a lip on the housing. It took me longer than 30 minutes to do this on 1 side. Mine stopped leaking for a while then, started leaking again. My seals didn't come out like the pic on hoye's site. I had to disassemble the housing and remove/install the seal from the inside. Ok, I looked at the diagram again. The hoye site is showing a top seal. the 1 that you are showing (like on mine) is a lower seal.

Well, looking on the fredricks site of the break down of this front gear housing. Mine doesn't look look the 1 in the hoye pic. The top doesn't have a seal. it's a gasket. the parts break down is on page 88 on the fredricks site

Last edited:
   / Front 4 wheel Drive External oil leak #5  
Wipe it off and get on with your life. If it really, really bothers you , as winston said, top off front axle with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak.