Fried Okra Patties, ya'all!

/ Fried Okra Patties, ya'all! #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
We have fresh okra running our of our ears. Most of it will be frozen for frying and stews and such, and we will probably pickle some. My reason for posting, is that my wife used to make some fried okra patties in days gone by, and they were really good. The recipe seems to have taken a hike; does anyone have a good recipe for deep fried okra patties?

Thanks!
Dennis

/ Fried Okra Patties, ya'all! #2  
I love both fried okra and pickled okra, but my wife only wants it fried. I don't think I've ever heard of fried okra patties; however . . . when I was 12 years old, I was in a Seventh Day Adventist hospital; had an emergency appendectomy in the middle of the night on a Sunday night. Those folks were supposedly vegetarian so no meat on the hospital meals, and I know a lot of people complained about the food (Mother had an aunt who worked in their business office). But they had some kind of a patty that looked like a hamburger patty and tasted like fried okra. I thought it was very good.:laughing: So maybe it actually was fried okra.:laughing:

/ Fried Okra Patties, ya'all! #4  
One of my favorite Okra recipes is "Okra and Potatoes"

I take about 5 medium peeled potatoes.
2 1/2" cups of frozen or fresh cut okra into small pieces.

Pore the okra in a bowl and toss with corn meal untill it's gooey covered with corn meal. I have my largest skillet with the bottom covered with conola oil on med-med-high heat and dump them in. Now I take my dices up potatoes and toss them as well in corn meal untill well covered. They won't get mushy. Pour them into the skillet with the orka. Let them brown before flipping the mixture over. You kind of have to stay with this or it will burn. Let it cook for about thee or four minutes then flip the mixture. Add a tad of oil to keep the mixture frying on the bottom. Keep flipping the mixture till the okra and tater and crispy brown. Salt and pepper to your liking and enjoy. A favorite at our house an so so easy to fix.

View attachment 281398

/ Fried Okra Patties, ya'all! #5  
I have never heard of Okra patties but it sounds good to me! I love fried and pickled Okra. I swear you could grow Okra, Tomatoes, Cukes, Zuchs, Jalapenos in a small garden and live off the food all year. We could not process Okra fast enough in our last garden. Unreal. :thumbsup::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Fried Okra Patties, ya'all! #6  
I like to chop it like preparing to fry, then toss in Italian Salad Dressing, sprinkle with Tony C's, then broil it in a biscuit pan. It's a fine line between crispy and burnt, I take it out when I see black along the cut edges and it will crisp up as it cools off.

/ Fried Okra Patties, ya'all!
Thanks guys. I love okra about any way you can fix it. We had the okra patties a few nights ago, and they were great. They are even good the next day, heated in the microwave. I'm passing the "Okra and potatoes" recipe along to Sharn Jean; looking forward to it.

Oh, BTW, what is "Tony C's"?