Free groceries?!?

/ Free groceries?!? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
Is this a new fad?
Today I stop by to visit my 93yo Mom. Leave and stop at a nearby grocery store, run it to get a few things. One customer ahead of me, about 20yo girl. She leaves, I go to pay, check out lady said girl paid for my groceries! Check-out lady says "she does it a lot". Anyway I ran her down as she was getting into a nice car. I hand her cash (a little more than groceries). She refused...but I won...saying give it to someone needy (we both were laughing)...I put $ in door compartment and left. She said ok.
Is this some sort of new fad? I don't look poor. Seems strange!

/ Free groceries?!? #2  
My Dad who is a millionaire (Not that that means much today) goes around his neighborhood picking beer botles out of peoples garbage. One lady came out and offered him money which he declined. He probably has more money than her and owns his house outright for many decades already. He also goes dumpster diving for old bread.

/ Free groceries?!? #3  
My Dad who is a millionaire (Not that that means much today) goes around his neighborhood picking beer botles out of peoples garbage. One lady came out and offered him money which he declined. He probably has more money than her and owns his house outright for many decades already. He also goes dumpster diving for old bread.

I pick up pennies when I see them. I used to step over them until I noticed my mother doing it religiously. She and my father ran a business and retired with more money than I ever will see... they have it because they are the type of people who will pick up pennies.

/ Free groceries?!? #4  
I told my father how disgusted I was at neighbors that throw Beer cans on the road out front of our place. AT ten cents a piece, he thinks it's GREAT! lol

/ Free groceries?!? #5  
I told my father how disgusted I was at neighbors that throw Beer cans on the road out front of our place. AT ten cents a piece, he thinks it's GREAT! lol

I used to work with somebody who would stop and pick up cans. It would be frustrating, we would be headed into the woods and he would stop every time he saw one. All that I wanted to do was get to work, we weren't paid by the hour. He drove an old Blazer II which broke down every couple of weeks but he wanted to see it turn 200K miles. His wife finally made him upgrade because she was tired of going to rescue him.

He owned 2 Corvettes and a couple of older collectible vehicles. One Monday he showed up and said that over the weekend he had bought the only Edsel convertible in Aroostook County. (Northern Maine) I don't believe that he ever started it, parking it on car dolleys allowed him to move it around. He didn't mind spending money, just didn't like pi++ing it away on depreciation.

/ Free groceries?!? #6  
Thats how I got my candy when I was a kid. Brother and I would collect all the bottles we could find and turn them in.

/ Free groceries?!? #7  
Thats how I got my candy when I was a kid. Brother and I would collect all the bottles we could find and turn them in.

I know I did in the 70’s when we would get a nickel for every bottle and we could buy lots of candy from them. Nowadays, kids don’t seem interested in making a buck. I’m comfortable but I’ve already told my teen kids. “I can afford to buy you vehicles BUT I won’t. You want a car, you buy it. I’ll cover living expenses, food, laundry, insurance as long as you are working towards your independence like a tangible college degree or learning a trade”

/ Free groceries?!? #8  
One customer ahead of me, about 20yo girl. She leaves, I go to pay, check out lady said girl paid for my groceries! Check-out lady says "she does it a lot".

Anyway I ran her down as she was getting into a nice car. I hand her cash (a little more than groceries).

How would she know the total?

I never carry cash, so I couldn't repay.

/ Free groceries?!? #9  
I know I did in the 70’s when we would get a nickel for every bottle and we could buy lots of candy from them. Nowadays, kids don’t seem interested in making a buck. I’m comfortable but I’ve already told my teen kids. “I can afford to buy you vehicles BUT I won’t. You want a car, you buy it. I’ll cover living expenses, food, laundry, insurance as long as you are working towards your independence like a tangible college degree or learning a trade”
To teach them responsibility, we made the kids save towards a car. As an incentive we would match up to $2,000 towards a car.

They had to pay their own insurance. If they couldn't pay, they had to work it off. And like the real world it had to be paid on or before it was due. Or make arrangements if you can't pay (work it off).

Daughter decided that she wouldn't pay. Told us tough, her friends didn't have to pay their insurance, she wasn't gonna pay. She found her car on blocks with the tires missing.

She had to earn her tires back

She bought her own place at 21 yo

/ Free groceries?!? #10  
Is this a new fad?
Today I stop by to visit my 93yo Mom. Leave and stop at a nearby grocery store, run it to get a few things. One customer ahead of me, about 20yo girl. She leaves, I go to pay, check out lady said girl paid for my groceries! Check-out lady says "she does it a lot". Anyway I ran her down as she was getting into a nice car. I hand her cash (a little more than groceries). She refused...but I won...saying give it to someone needy (we both were laughing)...I put $ in door compartment and left. She said ok.
Is this some sort of new fad? I don't look poor. Seems strange!

It's nice to read see people with good heart still out and about,sure wish there was more of them.