Fountain/Pond de-icer/heater

/ Fountain/Pond de-icer/heater #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Looking to buy a plug-in fountain de-icer so we can enjoy fountain a few more months. A lot to choose from. Here is my fountain. Would like suggestions if any of you have them.
Looked at stuff on Amazon primarily. Probably holds 50 gallons at most?
Here is my frozen fountain 27* at nigh here already. I have a GFI outlet in sealed box about 10 feet to the left in the boxwoods.

1700920659461.jpeg

/ Fountain/Pond de-icer/heater #2  
If it's a closed loop system what about some RV antifreeze? or do the birds and critters drink from it?
Or a couple of floating stock tank heaters.

/ Fountain/Pond de-icer/heater
If it's a closed loop system what about some RV antifreeze? or do the birds and critters drink from it?
Or a couple of floating stock tank heaters.

Yeah we constantly have birds, so I want to use a heater.

Am I correct in that a floating de-icer simply keeps a “hole” open in the ice for horses?

I think what I want is a heater that sits on bottom and keeps water above 32*

/ Fountain/Pond de-icer/heater #5  
No that one sinks also and keeps the the stock tank clear of ice..

/ Fountain/Pond de-icer/heater #7  
Last edited:
   / Fountain/Pond de-icer/heater #8  
you might want to empty it and fill it again with 5 gallon buckets to see volume. thats really needed info to size freeze prevention. i cant tell how large that fountain is by photo. my huge rubbermade water trough is 100 gallons.

/ Fountain/Pond de-icer/heater #9  
I use this one for our pond (Small 3 level w/ waterfalls)

You can have it float or sit on the bottom (Which is how I use it).
Keeps it going except for a week of temps in the single digits or low teens for highs) I put it in the middle sized pond (I believe it's around 75gals.) on the bottom, that feeds into the lower pond (I believe around 300 gal) where the pump is. That feeds back up to the top through a 3/4" ID hose. Never had the hose or the upper spillway freeze.

/ Fountain/Pond de-icer/heater
I tried a 500W pond water heater and it worked great in the large lower bowl, but the fountain has 2 smaller upper “bowls”, so it’s a bit more challenging than I thought to keep the upper, smaller bowls from freezing. I am going to place the heater next to the pump in the lowest bowl, but it may not be a final solution. Might do a 2nd, much smaller heater, like the 75 watt in the middle bowl.