Found gold. Bush Hog 286 like new

/ Found gold. Bush Hog 286 like new #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Just picked this up last week. Met the owner at his house. He bought it new about 9 years ago only mowing a 2 acre field behind his house using it like a grass cutter. He owns 5 acres but only little over 2 are grass plus house rest is woods. Had bought a new 50 hp deere to run it too. 6000-7000 sqft home was on the lot. Guy has got some cash apparently. I told him a little over kill for his needs. Lol Came with full chain guards and paid only 1700. Blades looked brand new. The BH 286 is probably one of my favorite cutters ever made too. I had just priced a new BH26 (newer version) with full chain package and was just over 3k with tax so am loving life right now. :)

As you can see he had detached center rear chain section to disperse material better. Not sure but I may put it back on.

image-1868100231.jpg Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Found gold. Bush Hog 286 like new #2  
A good purchase. I agree, put the chain back on.

/ Found gold. Bush Hog 286 like new #3  
Great find. Those things are built like a tank and should last forever. And probably has a USA made gearbox instead of the Chinese ones that come on the new cutters.

$1,700 is less than you'd pay for a new cutter that isn't even close to the same class as the 286. I love finds like this.

/ Found gold. Bush Hog 286 like new #4  
Score!

/ Found gold. Bush Hog 286 like new #5  
Definitely a great deal not quite the same duty as a 296 or BH 26 2.5" v 3" but since they dropped that class it's the closest comparison. Still built heavier than some of the brands that say they are 3" rated. I would definitely put the center chain section on I've had stuff fling out from underneath mine. Ive never had any issues with mmaterial dispersion

/ Found gold. Bush Hog 286 like new #6  
Nice grab, have fun with it!

/ Found gold. Bush Hog 286 like new #7  
Looks like a fine cutter to me:thumbsup:

There are a couple near me I am thinking of checking on.

One is another bushhog 306 like mine for $500 in fair condition. Looks good mechanically, and says box is tight, but is in need of paint.

And another better looking cutter that appears to be a 305 cutter. But the guy listed it as 4'. Not sure, but looks 5' and HD to me. He wants $400.

I really like the value you can get out of used cutters. Not much market for the HD used cutters as everyone that dont know much cant seem to understand the prices when they can get a "new" (light duty) piece for lots less...