Found a coyote, I think

/ Found a coyote, I think #771  
I've had a few wolves, squirrels, coons, armadillos, possums, gave away the skunks, but they still keep them in the house. Raise the coyote as a dog and it will be a dog.

/ Found a coyote, I think
Southwest Wildlife has not yet, to my knowledge, been able to find her another mate. I've asked them to try. It has been interesting, if sad, to see her unsettled and nervous at the loss of Shorty. She seems somewhat lost and distracted. It will be eleven years in March, since we found her and started this amazing story. Once of the interesting aspects of this whole thing is discovering how long she will live. With good medical care, no predators, a good diet, and a good emotional life, she will have the best chance of a long life. The only period of emotional stress has been this recent period after losing Shorty and it may shorten her life by an amount we can't measure. In the wild, their lives could end for a number of reasons and they probably don't last very long, but it was suggested that at Southwest, she might last as long as eighteen years.

I hope to see her again in January and we'll see if she has settled down a bit. One aspect of her interaction with us has been her emotional range. It has been so obvious how she feels about situations, other animals and people. Easy to read her emotions, desires, fears, etc. This, I'm sure is part of what endeared her to us as we see ourselves in her. We can relate. We can help. We want to play too. We have fears too. She is a person in a different body, hardwired a bit differently, but full of goodness, curiosity, the will to live, have a family and have fun. She has self awareness, secrets, and personal interests. She enjoys time by herself and interaction with others. We bonded and became a pack. I try to protect her as I would a child or a friend. But she can never come visit us again. We can't take a nap next to her, go on a hunt together, go camping together or ride in the truck. So, I'll do what I can, from here.

I will always be grateful and continue to contribute to Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center.

Meet Mica. Our new Cattledog/Border Collie mix. She just turned four months old. I first met her when she was one week old and we brought her home at seven weeks.

Much of this thread was comparing a coyote to a domestic dog and asking the question, what is the difference? Sandy was five months old when we took her to Southwest wildlife and she had a small female dog to help her get settled here at home. Mica has another small female dog to help her get settled and the similarities between Mica and Sandy are numerous, but they are not the same.

Like Sandy, Mica is sort of independent, gets very excited and runs and runs, is very cautious with strangers, very observant of the world around her and plays continuously with our other dog. She is very affectionate and loves to be touched and she takes lots of naps. Her favorite game with me is Keep-Away, where she grabs something and won't let me get near it. She invites me to play. This is the same thing Sandy loved to do.

Mica catches on to new tricks quickly, like shake, high five, sit, roll over, etc. Whereas Sandy was more cat like and not so interested in those things, but Sandy was more analytical and could problem solve better. Mica barks a fair amount, but Sandy very seldom barked. She would let out a low woof sound more than a shrill bark.

The two dogs were about the same size at four months, both love their crates/dens. Sandy was better house trained than Mica at this age. Neither one wants to stray off when let out. Sandy spent more time outside. She built her own den and buried food for later. Both of them have been great riding in the truck.

The main reasons why Sandy could not stay here were that we could not legally get medical attention for her, or shots. If there was ever a problem, Animal Control would have taken her and killed her. But, of course, Mica doesn't have those problems. Sandy was never a danger to anyone and is now eleven years old.

Of course, Sandy is just one out of millions of coyotes, so generalizing is tricky, but she was an interesting case of a wild dog living with us that touched us deeply, became a family member, and offered a lot of insights into coyote life and personality.

The differences between her and a domestic dog seem pretty insignificant. The differences we did see, such as her tricky nature and amazing intelligence, made her very interesting and fun.

Attachments

• Mica at the lake.jpg
    Mica at the lake.jpg
    888.1 KB · Views: 84
  • The three of us.jpg
    The three of us.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 86
   / Found a coyote, I think #774  
It’s a tote. Just shot it when the wife is gone

/ Found a coyote, I think #775  
I know very little about dogs but I don’t see Border Collie in it. It looks more like German Shepard. I know as a Christmas gift we gave out daughter a dna test for her dog. The results were surprising.

I know very little about dogs but I don’t see Border Collie in it. It looks more like German Shepard. I know as a Christmas gift we gave out daughter a dna test for her dog. The results were surprising.
I agree. But here is the breed summary. I have no idea how accurate these are.

Attachments

• Breed summary.png
    Breed summary.png
    148.3 KB · Views: 81
   / Found a coyote, I think #777  
I'd not seen this thread before; what a lovely story with many beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing it all.

/ Found a coyote, I think #778  
Raspy, that report looks similar to the one my daughter got back, it was surprising and not what we would have guessed. I assume they are pretty accurate. It’s a nice looking dog, enjoy its company.

/ Found a coyote, I think #779  
I agree. But here is the breed summary. I have no idea how accurate these are.
My kids did a DNA test on one of their dogs. It came back Rottweiler and American Pit Bull Terrier. We could kind of tell that's what it was going to be, as his head looks like a basketball with teeth.

/ Found a coyote, I think #780  
My daughters dog came back with a lot of American Bully and something similar. Looking at the DNA results you think pit bull but it doesn’t look like one at all, more like a black lab mix.