Found a coyote, I think

/ Found a coyote, I think #791  
Good one!

I recall reading that the ancient Romans believed puppies had healing powers.

perhaps, but to me the puppy was place for the baby to grow up with it in the afterlife, early Roman where all cremated, then after the invasion of Egypt the Romans adopted Egyptian rituals and burial practices this is observe in post Egypt roman invasion burial sites ... they went from being cremated to be buried with offerings to being mummified in a roman sarcophagus with elaborately crafted artwork, some of which where Egyptian symbols, very odd how powerful the Egyptian religion was to have such of a influence to the Roman. This baby definitely came from status.

/ Found a coyote, I think #793  
with respect to dogs, what is wild? What is domestic? What is pure?

This is my personal take

I believe any type of animal can be domesticated but you have to start early enough like you had before their eyes open. You pretty much prove that it can be done but not every animal can become domesticated. Like humans every animals has its own personality and some personality simply can't (shouldn't) be tame. In the wild natural selection dose the selection so the genes that get transmitted will be the one that is the most likely to survive or breed, the skittish, the aggressive, the fast and the smarts (survival traits) will be the most likely to get past on. So what is wild something skittish and aggressive. What we did with the ancestor of the wolf was we selected and breed the most sociable and less scared or by contrast the most brave or willing, over a few generations of breading the preferable behaviors and leaving out the undesirable behaviors until you have something easy to work with AKA the modern dogs. You where lucky with that coyote, for its age that you found it and its personality.

what is pure? and how dog breeds came about ?? well that's a complicated question and expert don't even know but that's my theory... pure bred is subjective to the traits, personality and appearance of a animal and accentuate these traits and calling it a breed. Once in a while you get abnormally in physical and behavioral traits that comes out, by training and breeding the same traits they become more prevalent and accentuated (more dominant and less variation) plus by doing the same activity (training) over generations there is learning from observation (from parents (mother and father)) evolution from the same repetitive activities and there is a theory about communication between cells that so a ingrain memory pass down from the mother. As these preferable traits become more prevalent they become more stable (predictable) some of these traits comes with genetic diseases or flaws as well and yes inbreeding is a issue as well it's something the past generations didn't understand.

So wild is treacherous, timid, stubborn and antisocial
domesticated is loyal, willing and social
Pure bred is predictability in personality and physical traits.

Last edited:
   / Found a coyote, I think
We visited Sandy again yesterday. The last time was two years ago. She is now twelve years old and doing fine. A little nervous, likely because she lost her mate, Shorty, about three years ago and has not gotten over it. She has been moved to a new enclosure that sees less of the public walking by and they are going to introduce her to a new possible mate. The woman at Southwest that takes care of her said coyotes are the hardest animal to find mates for. They are the most particular and they mate for life.

She remembered us, as always, and was very gentle. Her sincere and curious nature showed up once again. It makes it hard to see her because we always want to bring her home. Here are a few pix:

Attachments

• tempImageGPGpi0.png
    tempImageGPGpi0.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 34
  • tempImage3sQMW2.png
    tempImage3sQMW2.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 33
  • tempImageaPdoLw.png
    tempImageaPdoLw.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 33
  • tempImagegDMugp.png
    tempImagegDMugp.png