Found 33 acres... wow

/ Found 33 acres... wow #41  
Beautiful property. You said there was some 100 year floodplain on the property, how much more is under a 500 year flood.
The reason I ask is in KY we have had a large number of 500 year floods lately.

As for goldenrod honey, yuck. My son’s bees have at times went crazy on the goldenrod and he couldnt give it away

Goldenrod is easy to manage. If you don't want it, mow the pasture in the summer. It is a native plant, is very beautiful and has lots of medicinal uses and there is NOTHING yuck about it.

/ Found 33 acres... wow #42  
The real key is getting the utility to move the power lines across the building site, to another location. They could say no. They could say sure, but charge an exorbitant amount, or say yes and charge a reasonable amount. Really it all hinges on those stupid lines. Anyone have experience with this?
Yes, and it varies, by a lot.
  • How far do you want to move it?
  • Are you adding just two poles to dogleg around the home site, or do you want the line somewhere completely different?
  • Is the line 240, or 7,800, or more? The higher the voltage the more expensive it will be.
Someone in this area lives in a suburban neighborhood, and the utility quoted him so much to run wire 230 feet ($750k?) that he saved money by going completely off grid with solar and commercial sized batteries.

The utility or co-op usually charges what it costs them, which is probably going to be pricey unless they have some pre-existing need to replace the wires. In my experience co-ops tended to be more reasonable.

You might ask if you can put the line underground and do it yourself with your electrician. New underground wire is going to be pricey, but might be a lot less than putting in new poles and wire, and sorting out the right of way.

My suggestion is to ask the utility, and then ask for alternatives to what they first suggest if it isn't what you want / need. e.g. Do you want 3 phase, and the overhead is only single? I would try to find ways to work with them. Being unfailing nice is the rule. It is trivial for them to obstruct, so try to get them enthused about your project. They know how to work their system.

Goldenrod is easy to manage. If you don't want it, mow the pasture in the summer. It is a native plant, is very beautiful and has lots of medicinal uses and there is NOTHING yuck about it.
Well, the pollen (and allergies therefrom) and the flavor that it imparts to honey are certainly "yuck" in my book, but I agree with you that a little mowing and grazing will get you back to native grasses pretty easily.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Found 33 acres... wow #43  
$5K per acre is about on par with what we paid 2 years ago. We only have about 2/3 the acres. In general, bigger property = less per acre.

Sounds like it is perfect for you. How far from your current digs?

/ Found 33 acres... wow #44  
I am surprised to know that different plant produce different honey taste... a pretty interesting fact.

/ Found 33 acres... wow #46  
I am sure as far as the preferred honey taste it must depend on the individual... like for maple sirup for a example we (my family) prefer the late season darker sirup but it is less valuable on the market.

/ Found 33 acres... wow #47  
My father paid $1200 for this 80 acres - in 1939. $20 for the easement where the driveway now exists. There is no such thing as a one acre lot around here. Local zoning requires a 20 acre minimum lot size.

Down the county road about two miles - a 24 acre parcel sold for $185K. That's just a tad under $8K/acre. No public water - no public sewer and power will have to be run half a mile to get to the property. The homeowner will be like me - cell phone only.

It's just another blissful pleasure. Having to make a phone call and it's blizzard conditions outside. Bundled up like an Eskimo - standing out on my porch so my @#$% cell phone MIGHT make contact.

But this is the life I've chosen and I enjoy it to the fullest.

/ Found 33 acres... wow
Utility said they will move the poles and lines for free. I'll meet with an engineer in a few weeks to talk location.

The goldenrod would not be a honey crop plant, but for now it's pretty and the bees love it. We would till and plant buckwheat and phacelia.

/ Found 33 acres... wow #50  
Utility said they will move the poles and lines for free. I'll meet with an engineer in a few weeks to talk location.

The goldenrod would not be a honey crop plant, but for now it's pretty and the bees love it. We would till and plant buckwheat and phacelia.
Great news on the electric! (y)