Formal Training?

/ Formal Training? #21  
I grew up on a tractor and then in 7th grade I took a tractor operators class sponsored by the Cass County FFA. Passed it with flying colors and never studied for the test. I had to demonstrate driving the tractor on a range and backing up a two wheeled trailer.

/ Formal Training? #22  
I ran heavy equipment in the service.
That was my training.
Navy offered a civvie 'forklift and doggers' course which I was able to apply to container movements and modular sonar swap-outs.
Everything that I learnt on that course I've applied to operating my tractor; 'low and slow', plus (under load) backing down an incline, etc...

/ Formal Training? #23  
Where I grew up everyone could drive at 14, legally. Typing was required. 1 semester in 8th and another in 10th. Small town school, we had FFA, wood shop, auto shop, but most of that was farm kids taking classes on stuff they already knew. No specialized training until I had a chance to lean to drive a forklift working for a bank. I didn't stutter, a bank. Millions of statements and credit cards and similar go out. Back office banking is like a small factory. Machinery, pallet racks, and government 'inspections '.

/ Formal Training? #24  
In Massachusetts, a Hoisting Engineers License is required to operate any equipment “with a minimum capability of hoisting the load higher than ten feet or has the capability of lifting loads greater than 500 pounds or if the capacity of the bucket exceeds 1/4 cubic yard capacity.”

This is true even if the owner of the equipment is operating the equipment on his own property for non-commercial purposes. There is an exemption however for equipment used exclusively for agricultural purposes.

It's also illegal for the owner of a piece of equipment to allow it to be used by someone without a license. Which sucks for me because all of the closest equipment rental places are in Massachusetts.

The test is reportedly hard, most people pay to take a course. Getting the license typically costs about $500.

/ Formal Training? #25  
In Massachusetts, a Hoisting Engineers License is required to operate any equipment “with a minimum capability of hoisting the load higher than ten feet or has the capability of lifting loads greater than 500 pounds or if the capacity of the bucket exceeds 1/4 cubic yard capacity.”

This is true even if the owner of the equipment is operating the equipment on his own property for non-commercial purposes. There is an exemption however for equipment used exclusively for agricultural purposes.

It's also illegal for the owner of a piece of equipment to allow it to be used by someone without a license. Which sucks for me because all of the closest equipment rental places are in Massachusetts.

The test is reportedly hard, most people pay to take a course. Getting the license typically costs about $500.
You know there are other states, right? 😉

Sorry I shouldn't be glib. I've been to all except HI and AK. I just could not handle living in a state that tries to control that much of my life. It is pretty up there, at least in June. February was a bit stark.

/ Formal Training?
Our secondary schools had access to an "ag farm" where most all aspects of farming were taught...

Question for the OP...who signed off on the teacher's training ??
They had Industrial Arts degrees, not sure if they had a certification process, like Drivers Ed teachers.

/ Formal Training?
My "training" was gained on the farm, when I was around 12. I walked up as my Dad was spraying the roadside with a hand wand and had gotten to the end of the hose. He told me to get on the tractor and move it up for him. End of training. :-/
I first drove a tractor at about nine, pulling the hay wagon while those who older and had big enough muscles to pitch bales.

But, the how to set things up, and actually use things safely came out of the classes in Junior High.

/ Formal Training?
Just last month my daughter,sil and me had a conversation about the need for vocational training in public school. Today's society turn their nose up at the suggestion their kid might need a trade. In typical fashion they completly overlook the value of work ethic learned at an early age. When they were in school vocational was a 3 hour elective,1 hour classroom and 2 hours working for wages. The class wasn't broken down into specialties,classroom was checkbook management,creating resume,job seeking skills (boy there's one a bunch of people could use) managing time between education,hobbies and family. Other 2 hours could be ANY JOB where employer was willing to perticipate. SIL worked at an auto parts house,daughter at a custom bakery and a pharmacy who eventually hired their son while he was in high school. While working part time and attending college,one of the pharmacists approached him about going to work for a start up business. Today at 32 years old he is full partner in a growing multi-million dollar pharmaceutical company.
Getting back closer to what OP is talking about, this kind of education is healthy for the community and tax payers should push for them. This is far above my pay grade but many of you qualify as adjunct professors. Point being that a bookkeepers and a host of other occupations could occasionally teach classes which save's institution money making classes affordable when compared to full time staff with benefits.
I went to a junior high in Wyoming that required all of the 7th and 8th graders to take “Life Skill”. The kept boys and girls separate. The classes consisted of how to do basic home repairs, basic plumbing, basic auto mechanics, small appliance repair, laundry and mending, budgeting and checkbook, basic nutrition meal planning, advanced cooking and sewing. It wasn’t an elective, it was a series of required classes designated as life skills. the things that the school board felt everybody needs to know to survive in the world.

/ Formal Training? #29  
As opposed to todays youth. I had a call from a frantic person during last power outage. Insisted i install a generator at her house today cause her phone was dying. I told her to plug it into her car charger. She said….oh ya, and hung up.

/ Formal Training? #30  
I learn from my successes and failures. Formal training was never an option I was aware of, in this regard.