Forklift Mast Cylinder

/ Forklift Mast Cylinder #1  

HarryVanderpool

Gold Member
I have a Hyster XM-35 forklift. I pulled the rod and piston out of the main mast cylinder and resealed the gland and the piston.
But I have hit a dead end trying to get the piston and rod back into the cylinder.
I spent a couple of hours making slips from shim-stock to use as shoe horns.
Newp!
And no, I can't put it in the freezer.
Anyone have experience with this?
Someone MUST know the secret.
Thank you!

/ Forklift Mast Cylinder #2  
No experience with that particular thing, but if you're looking to chill it to shrink and tighten up the piston seals, what about building a container out of some 2" thick foam board and then filling it with dry ice ?

/ Forklift Mast Cylinder #3  
Freezing the seals is the last thing I would want to try. Makes them hard stiff and brittle.

Dunk the whole assembly in a bucket of hydraulic oil....use your shim-stock shoe horns, and some taps from a dead blow hammer

/ Forklift Mast Cylinder #4  
I've found STP oil treatment to be an aid in getting the seals back in. Makes them super slick.

/ Forklift Mast Cylinder
Mission accomplished!
Thank you for the tips.
I woke up in the middle of the night and layed there wondering, "I wonder where the rod end is reletive to the top of the mast"?
Sure enough, when the rod is setting in the cylinder between the shims ready to slide in, the rod end is about 2" below the top cross member on the mast.
PERFECT for grabbing a 2 x 4 to use as a lever and in it went!!!
I took your advice and douched the piston down with fluid first.
THANK YOU!!