Foreigners in National Parks.

/ Foreigners in National Parks. #11  
When we were in Yellowstone, I remember getting stuck behind many of those rental campers.... many, many, many rental campers. They'd get stuck on curves. They'd get stuck in parking lots. Gas stations, pull-offs, etc... seemed like everywhere we went, there was one of them trying to make u-turns, or 10 point turns to go back the way they came. At first, I was getting a bit perturbed, but then it happened so often it became comical.

/ Foreigners in National Parks. #12  
We saw a LOT of CruiseAmerica RVs and there was also another company too. The strangest was the Dodge Minivans painted purple with writing all over advertising that they slept four and had a complete kitchen.

RSKY

Don't underestimate the vans, we've got a VW Vanagon we inherited from a family member and that thing is a camping beast. Easily can do 2 upstairs, 2 down, kitchen, fridge and does 30mph up the mountains with all of its 97hp. There is something to be said about being able to get in/out of anywhere and where setting up camp is just popping the top.

I understand people deck out Sprinters these days in the same way although it doesn't feel quite the same to me.

/ Foreigners in National Parks. #13  
Speaking of rude I/we cringe when we see a group of our countrymen screaming 'aussie aussie aussie, oi oi oi', we just like to be unobtrusive and blend in as best we can.
I believe all countries have the same culprits.
On a funnier note, having a coffee in Milan the waiter asked where we were from, we told him and he said his cousin lived there and we should know him.

/ Foreigners in National Parks. #14  
Last year we did a very similar route via motorcycle.. Pikes Peak, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Sturgis and a number of other stops is 12 days. .. From what I'm accustomed to out here in the North East.. Crouds were minimal although at the Grand Canyon there was a noticeable increase of traffic going is as we were coming out. ( we got there about 7:30 am) While I somewhat recall seeing oriental tourists, I don't recall a overwhelming large number of them...Unlike when we were in Honolulu.. Off topic.. but Wyoming just may be the most beautiful part of this country I have ever seen..and I have seen quite a bit of it..

/ Foreigners in National Parks. #15  
When we were in Yellowstone, I remember getting stuck behind many of those rental campers.... many, many, many rental campers. They'd get stuck on curves. They'd get stuck in parking lots. Gas stations, pull-offs, etc... seemed like everywhere we went, there was one of them trying to make u-turns, or 10 point turns to go back the way they came. At first, I was getting a bit perturbed, but then it happened so often it became comical.

That's how it is with rent-a-jeep in my high country travels. Should require a test....... :(

/ Foreigners in National Parks. #16  
I spend a few days in Yellowstone every year fly fishing the Larmar valley. The foreigners are great, the American wolf watchers piled up along the highway through there, not so great...

/ Foreigners in National Parks. #17  
Anytime someone starts a post with something like "I probably shouldn't post this here" or "at the risk of getting this thread closed", it should be obvious that the little voice in your head that told you that was probably right.... so don't post it. ;) Just shake your head and move along, or, go over to the Front Porch or Unfriendly Politics and start a new thread on the subject.
I wondered (not) where that post went.....

We had small crowd at grand canyon last yr. But we got there in morning, seems most people didnt show up till after noon.

Lots of foreigners working at the national parks.

/ Foreigners in National Parks. #18  
My wife is a naturalized citizen from France. Her uncle was making arrangements for my wife's grandmother to come to Florida. He asked if we could pick her up in LaGuardia Airport in New York.

/ Foreigners in National Parks. #19  
We would come down out of AK about once every five years. We always visited a few national parks on our trips. Our excursions were always so early in the spring that if the national park was open - there was seldom much traffic - foreign or domestic. We SPECIFICALLY made it a point to travel either before schools got out in the spring or after they started in the fall. We didn't hate children - we were avoiding massive crowds.

/ Foreigners in National Parks. #20  
My wife is a naturalized citizen from France. Her uncle was making arrangements for my wife's grandmother to come to Florida. He asked if we could pick her up in LaGuardia Airport in New York.

That's funny! :laughing: