ford trailer wire harnes wire color question

/ ford trailer wire harnes wire color question #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I want to add a backup camera to the wifes 2014 e350 van to help her backup all the kits i find locally mount to the license plate via bracket built in to the camera. lic plate onthe van is in a door so inconvienient, but it will be nothing to fab a lil right angle, angle iron bracket and spray paint black and mount it to the trailer hitch. so that problem solved. next, the camera needs a 2 wire hookup, ground ( easy ) and reverse lamp ( reverse lamps on, camera on..etc.. )

I started looking under there figuring how i was gonna get to the back of the lamp cages for harnes, then say the 7 pin trailer plug.. the diagram on it on this ford installed hitch plug says the center socket is reverse lamps.

it was hard to see between the hitch and bumper.. but looking at the stub harness, i could tap in there easilly. anyone know the color diagram for the ford harness? it ALMOST looks like white is to the ground pin and purple is to the center pin.

anyone confirm those colors, and if the center is actually reverse lamps. many diagrams simply list it as accessory.

thanks

/ ford trailer wire harnes wire color question #2  
White is normally ground but not sure on center pin I have found these to be a charge wire for trailer battery easy enough to test see if when key in run position if center pin has voltage or not if it doesn't have some one put in reverse and see if it has voltage at that time. usually there is a connector on left side of frame that feeds trailer conn. a lot easier to get to.

/ ford trailer wire harnes wire color question
Thanks guys, got my wife out ti operate key, rev shifter and brakes while I laid down there wth a meter. No joy, center must be optional, no buggy, I tapped off a reverse lamp, had just enough room to do so, cam installed this am.

Works good.

Thanks

/ ford trailer wire harnes wire color question #5  
When I did the camera install in my truck I ran the wires all the way into the cab to make the connections "out of the weather". At some point I may add a relay with the camera reverse wire across the normally closed contacts and 12 volts to the normally open contact. A switch for the relay would allow the camera to be turned on at any time without being in reverse. Of course the camera reverse wire must be connected correctly across the relay so 12 volts goes to the camera when the relay is activated and not the backup lights.

/ ford trailer wire harnes wire color question
Yup, it is/ was purple to the trailer plug, but the ford master harness must not support the center pin.

I opted to use a tap on the lamp wiring, the cavity the assy lives in had room to make a clean connection out of the weather.

I too chose to run that power and a suitable ground up into the back of the van thru a rubber grommet near the port the spare tire crank uses, then was able to mate wires under carpet and near rear seat rails so they are hidden and safe, ran wires under plastic molding up to roof and mounts the lil xmitter ( size of 50 cent piece) with double side tape. Mounts the screen in a unused cubby in dash, worked perfect, no exposed wires anywhere, clean install, took me about 2 hours start to finish including putting tools up, took my time, weather was great, however my dogs kept taking advantage of me whip I was laying on a creeper under the van, they'd walk up and start licking my legs :). Big dogs, big tounges, lots of slobber! Good boys though!

/ ford trailer wire harnes wire color question #8  
some caution... some vehicles the relay's that handle flashing, rear backup lights, etc... if you tie into the actual wiring that goes to actual rear lights on vehicle, you could burn up the relays fairly quickly.
most vehicles setup for towing... "already has a electrical plug to hook up to a trailer" has also had the relays either upgraded, or things setup. not to burn out the regular vehicle relays that control the vehicles front and rear lights.

was a costly mistake on my part, it worked till i got home and it got me home, but lights were out till relays replaced (had to tear off dash to get to them.. stinking little hole was no good in glove box...

in your setup if ya tied into the trailer plug for camera. things most likely fine, on other hand tieing into vehicle rear lights may be bad...

/ ford trailer wire harnes wire color question #10  
I want to add a backup camera to the wifes 2014 e350 van to help her backup all the kits i find locally mount to the license plate via bracket built in to the camera. lic plate onthe van is in a door so inconvienient, but it will be nothing to fab a lil right angle, angle iron bracket and spray paint black and mount it to the trailer hitch. so that problem solved. next, the camera needs a 2 wire hookup, ground ( easy ) and reverse lamp ( reverse lamps on, camera on..etc.. )

I started looking under there figuring how i was gonna get to the back of the lamp cages for harnes, then say the 7 pin trailer plug.. the diagram on it on this ford installed hitch plug says the center socket is reverse lamps.

it was hard to see between the hitch and bumper.. but looking at the stub harness, i could tap in there easilly. anyone know the color diagram for the ford harness? it ALMOST looks like white is to the ground pin and purple is to the center pin.

anyone confirm those colors, and if the center is actually reverse lamps. many diagrams simply list it as accessory.

thanks

If I recall, on Fords 7 blade white with purple tracer is the reverse lights, red is power, white is definitely ground.