Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions

/ Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions #11  
indeed. It is very important how the operator engages the clutch. Ford 1700 has a rubber inspection handhole on the side of clutch housing that one can remove for inspection. Due to shape of the pressure plate you can see the thickness of the clutch disk. My 40 yr old Ford 1700 has the original clutch with at least 90% of original thickness left. I am sure your neighbor did not do loader work and constant clutching and going back and forth, and when he did, he clutched it right. When I mow my field, I clutch just about one time and go around and around for hrs which obviously can't harm the clutch disk.
Best thing to do with a clutch is stay off of it. Good advice I was told once.

/ Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions #12  
When my 'tractor guy' replaced the clutch in my NH 1920 about 9 years ago, he gave me the option of a rebuilt clutch or brand new clutch for $300 more. I paid the extra $300 to hopefully never hafta split the tractor again. The new clutch is still doing fine after 450 hours of use, primarily rotary cutting and discing (knock on wood).

/ Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions
Thank you for all of the replies... I ordered the whole unit as suggested. I was leaning that way, but getting other's thoughts definitely pushed me over the edge.

I have the I&T manual as well as the Ford manual from eBay (at least I think it is the real Ford manual). If anyone needs a PDF of it please PM me. Thanks!

/ Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions
Since the clutch alignment tool for the 1720 can't seem to be found anywhere, I wanted to describe how I aligned both clutches. I used a standard universal alignment tool (Lisle 55500 or similar) and a friend turned another cone piece from a block of aluminum to center the PTO clutch. I will attach a picture to this post later tonight to maybe help someone else in the future. It was frustrating that I couldn't just buy the FNH special tools.

IMG_0907.jpg
IMG_0908.jpg

Last edited:
   / Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions #15  
Since the clutch alignment tool for the 1720 can't seem to be found anywhere, I wanted to describe how I aligned both clutches. I used a standard universal alignment tool (Lisle 55500 or similar) and a friend turned another cone piece from a block of aluminum to center the PTO clutch. I will attach a picture to this post later tonight to maybe help someone else in the future. It was frustrating that I couldn't just buy the FNH special tools.
You got off just as well and for a lot less $$ than when the alignment tool was readily available.

/ Ford/New Holland 1720 Clutch Overhaul Questions #16  
So is there a point to all of this? The 1720 is 24 years old for Pete's sake. It needs a clutch, big deal.
How many hours on the tractors?