Ford-Ferguson with brush-hog

/ Ford-Ferguson with brush-hog #1  

nybirdman

Tractor
Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT
We are in the process of dragging the old girl out of the barn and start using again.We are going to buy a new four ft.brush-hog for it.Now I know we need an over-riding clutch.....can this be used with a slip clutch on the hog?Or do we need to buy a brush hog with shear pins?Can we put the OR clutch directly on the slip and adjust the PTO shaft to fit?

/ Ford-Ferguson with brush-hog #2  
Yes,
No,

Yes, to the last question.

/ Ford-Ferguson with brush-hog #3  
orc should really be on the tractor stub.. torque limiter is geterally at the mower, but I have seen them at the pto stub as well ( I have a jd like that.. )

soundguy

/ Ford-Ferguson with brush-hog
Thanks for the replies guys,I just wasn't sure where to put the OR clutch.I had thought I had read somewhere here to put the OR on the implement;if it will work on the tractor great.
One last question...what about the gasoline today;do I need a lead additive?
Tractor has set for 11 years,new battery,rebuilt the carb,cleaning the fuel tank:turned over easy and started.We only let it run for a couple of minutes.

/ Ford-Ferguson with brush-hog #5  
she left the factory with hardened exhaust valve seats, and all but a handfull of wartime 42 models left the factory with hardened intake seats.

lead addative won't do you any good.. tetra ethyl lead wasn't designed as a valve lube anyway.. it was an octane modifier, IE.. spark knock preventative. todays lowest octane gas is nearly 20 points higher than what they had in the 50's.. besides.. ethanol is in most gas and it's an octane mod too.

soundguy

/ Ford-Ferguson with brush-hog #6  
I would run it until you loose compresion, then do the valve job. I only got a month or so of hard work out of the lightly-used 1951, 8n with factory valves when I bought it about 25 years ago. Those valves do not hold up well at all to unleaded gas under heavy load but it is quite rare to find any left today that have not been replaced. I used lead additive back then, but as SG mentioned, it didnt do any good. No problem at all the last 25 years, running the new Ford valves however, and I havent used any lead additive since putting them in. With just a 4-foot bush-hog, your machine wont see a heavy load however and you may be able to run a long time on the factory valves. The combination of heavy engine hp load and unleaded gas will take out the old factory valves whether they had "hardened" seats or not.

/ Ford-Ferguson with brush-hog #7  
IMHO.. the oem valves and seats are fine with this gas. my 8n has factory valves, and as far as I can tell, the original seats. It's done many a max throttle, full days work for me in the last 12ys I owned it, plowing and hogging and digging dirt. and the guy I bought it from ran a mowing business with 2 8n .. that being one of them.

maintenance is more of an issue than the seats.

running it lean IMHO is more detrimental than what flavor gas it uses..

soundguy