Buying Advice Ford 8N - Is it worth consideration?

/ Ford 8N - Is it worth consideration? #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
There is a 8N in good condition near me for sale. Has been cleaned up, repainted and appears to have no active leaks. Tires are good no signs of dry rot or serious damage with about 50% life remaining.

No one was home to get to fire it up and hear it run or a test drive, so everything above is based on a static display.

My Q is it worth considering for caring for a small lot (~10 acres) to handle mowing and maybe a box blade for light grading of the drive.
About 4 acres needs mowing in addition to the lawn right around the house. This is my in-laws property and they need someone to care for the Yard for them as its too much for them to do at their age. So I was considering the 8N but I think the asking price is a bit high at $3000
I don't have a pic but it does look to be well cared for and fully functional.

Should I go back and have a real look and maybe haggle for a better price or move on to something else?

/ Ford 8N - Is it worth consideration? #2  
prices tend to be regional, and vary with supply / demand.

IMHO.. I'd never pay 3000$ for a N.. .. maybee a lil over 2000$ for a decent one. 2500$ if it was family and I owed them a favor :)

What i'd hold out for, is a 55-64 modle like a 600/601/ 800 / 801 900 / 901 series. middle digit denotes trans type.

4 = 4spd, non live pto

5= 5 spd non live pto

6= 5 speed live pto

all have live hyds.

some have power steering.

diesel available after 59.

SOS trans ( 7/8 middle digit ) available after 1959.. but I'd avoid them.

the 55-64 models are SOOOO much more tractor than an N.. and usually in the same price range.

on the other hand.. if used small / older tractrors are rare in your area.. high 2k$ may be what you are stuck with.

that said. an average 8n and a 5' rotary mower with an over running coupler installed will mow fine, adn box blade fine for something in that size range of property.

post back

soundguy

/ Ford 8N - Is it worth consideration?
Thanks for your comments and insight. Yes, i'm not looking to put too much into this purchase as the property is 15 miles away and i don't want to trailer my equipment over there every time. I have just started looking and actually seeing this 8n is what got me thinking about picking up something like this to maintain the property with. There is also a cub cadet i spied just today that i will stop and look at next chance i get, don't know condition or price on this one. Might have had a belly mower with it which would be good, but i couldn't see it that well as i drove by.

/ Ford 8N - Is it worth consideration? #4  
get the 8n over the cub :)

the N ain't a BAD tractor.. just if you have a choice of a NAA or 6xx/8xx/9xx i'd look them over first. :)

hit craigslist in yer local...

/ Ford 8N - Is it worth consideration? #5  
try search tempest for a wider CL area search.

i agree with Soundguy the 8n will do what you are refering to but the later series do it much nicer with usually bigger smiles

Dont forget the fergueson's to-30's 35's and MF's up to a 135 make great land maintainers

/ Ford 8N - Is it worth consideration? #6  
oh yeah. I'm a ford guy..not mf.. but a good 35 or 135 I hear, are the cats meow too!

soundguy

/ Ford 8N - Is it worth consideration? #7  
oh yeah. I'm a ford guy..not mf.. but a good 35 or 135 I hear, are the cats meow too!

soundguy

I had an 8N...I think it was a 1950..Good machine and was converted to 12v.

It had an FEL (what a contraption that was, but it worked)...Came with disks, a BB, blade and rake for $4000...At the time it seemed reasonable and it did everything I asked of it...Sold it for what I paid for it 4 years later..It was a pretty nice looking one too...You do get some stong arms due to the manual steering ... I'd like to have another one as a show type tractor someday...

Wish I had some digital pictures of it, but I was never an early adopter...Sold it in 2004.

/ Ford 8N - Is it worth consideration? #8  
A cub cadet??? Even something like a lowboy or cub is not in the same ball park as an 8n. They have about half as much power.

A little searching has turned up a 53 Jubilee in vg condition abt 200 miles away for $2500.
I think with some more searching on cl and eBay as well as other sources i can turn up something that will work for me. I'd like to keep the total outlay under 5k if possible, that includes a mower. I should be able to pick up a box blade locally for a couple hundred.

A cub cadet??? Even something like a lowboy or cub is not in the same ball park as an 8n. They have about half as much power.

Yes, it was something i spied in my travels this last week. Drove by again today and saw there is no mower, but it does have a 5' disc which i don't really need. I think it is out of the picture after seeing what else i can get for under $2k.